Wednesday, October 25, 2006

CHAPTER 1

It was a nightmare that there was no wakening up from. Everything surrounding us seemed to be in a black haze. We had always been a private bunch, we all had those in our family we were close too, but you would usually find us alone somewhere with our thoughts. Now, we stayed in them completely. I watched my family go about getting ready to leave, and it was as if they couldn’t even see each other. My failure had reduced us to this. And tomorrow we would all be leaving.

I stood outside the door to the cottage and watched as Ilara passed by Sam without even looking at him. Sam’s eyes tracked after her for a very brief second, as if wondering whether he should follow her and try to help, but he turned quickly in the opposite direction and headed towards his garden. I frowned, Ilara had knives in her hand. It wasn’t an unusual thing to see, but she had more than normal. What was my sister planning? My eyes swept the area again, but it was silent now, the only real thing to see was the smoke coming from chimney on the kitchen. Daelia would be in there working hard cooking something or other. I couldn’t recall seeing her outside of the kitchen since Duard had dropped his boulders onto our heads. Of course, she was one of the few siblings that I knew the location of.

I contemplated where the others might be, even as I followed Ilara into the woods. Wren and Zoe would be with their animals. Wren would need to make sure all her falcons were ready to leave with her and caring for them would help her measure out her own grief. I had noticed her keeping an eye on the others as well. Zoe and Brac, her horse, were off in the woods somewhere, though I wasn’t positive where. My littlest sister concerned me the most. I had yet to see her process any of the events, but then I hadn’t really processed it either. Every step I took felt like it was with someone’s foot. I hadn’t seen Aquila at all, which meant she was probably down at the river. She was next on my list to find.

Thawk! The noise made me look up from my thoughts. Ilara stood about fifteen paces in front of me. Her face was full of concentration and fury as she threw her knifes at the tree in front of her. Each one was thrown with more force than the last. It was only a matter of minutes before she had thrown all the ones she had brought with her. Her hands made fists at her side as she stalked to the tree and ripped the first knife out. She stared at it silently for a moment, then plunged it deep back into the wood. Her face was unreadable from my angle, but wherever her thoughts, they weren’t good. Silently she retrieved the knife, and then within seconds, she began to climb. She went higher and higher until the limbs almost hid her from site.

I watched her silently for a few more minutes, before turning and heading down to the river. Some big brother I was. I had no comfort to offer her, no way to end the nightmare, or even offer hope. At least I could take small comfort in that she was using the knifes on the tree and not something else. The sound of the river interrupted my thoughts. I looked up and searched its edges silently. Sure enough, a few seconds later I spotted Aqulia sitting at the river’s edge her feet dangling in it. The girl was going to get a cold one of these days from that freezing water, but we had never been able to convince her of that.

As with Ilara, I watched my sister silently. Her face was streaked with tearstains, I could see even from the distance that I stood and her shoulder’s trembled. She had been crying. The river might have caused them, or maybe she had talked to one of the others and had fled before there was a chance for Duard to see her tears. We all knew that particular sign of weakness was one he hated. I contemplated going up to her and just giving her a hug or something, but she probably didn’t want that either. Would she make it on her own? Would any of us? Aqulia was no idiot girl, she knew what was happening and she had to deal with her grief and anger like the rest of us and I knew she would, though it might take her longer. Finally, I took a step back and melted into the shadows of the trees. I would talk to her, but later, right now, she probably didn’t want her oldest brother walking up to find her in tears, better to let her have her moment. Maybe in some ways the tears would help. Maybe. She was a girl after all, those things were supposed to do that for them. Suddenly, my feet turned from walking to the cottage to the Falcon house.

I was still a few paces away from the Falcon house when a gray brown falcon and a white falcon swooped down in front of my face. I took a step back and glared at them. The two birds lifted up slightly, so they were above my head. Each seemed to ask what I thought I was doing.

“Shea, Gavin. Is Wren here?” I asked.

“That’s Keaton, not Gavin,” Wren’s voice came from the doorway.

I glanced up at her and then back to the birds. “If you say so.”

She shook her head at me, but didn’t say anything else and ducked back inside.

“Aquila’s at the river and Ilara is up in a tree,” I said, loud enough for her to hear me inside.

She reappeared, this time with a falcon on her gloved wrist, “This is Gavin.”

I looked from one gray-brown bird to the other and just nodded.

“So?”

“So what?” I asked.

“They are normal places,” she responded, with a look that said I needed to concentrate.

It wasn’t my fault she was skipping subjects though. “Ilara just might kill someone with her knives and Aquila doesn’t know I saw her crying. I’m going to ask Daelia to go talk to Ilara, but can you go see about Aquila?”

“And do what?” Wren asked, her hazel eyes meeting mine. Her tone was not sarcastic in any way, just curious.

I didn’t have a clue. “Do your sister thing,” I finally replied.

That actually got an amused smile from her. We didn’t have much to smile about these days.

“I’ll go see Aquila,” she finally said, before turning back into the Falcon house. She reappeared with a new falcon.

“Elsu?” I guessed.

Wren just shook her head at me. “Your hopeless.”

I gave a slight shrug. “To me all falcons belong to you. When I see one in the air I always figure you are close by.”

A small smile tugged at the edges of her lips, but it was a sad one. “Will they always?”

“Probably. It will be a connection to you that even Duard cannot take from us. There are others too, Wren.” I spoke slowly as I fell into step with her. “For instance, whenever I see someone who tends to get into trouble or a kid running for that matter, I see Arnan.”

Wren didn’t say anything, but Volante took off of her fist. “Aiden?”

“Doing fine, Wren. You know Arnan. He takes nothing lying down. He’s out there fighting for himself still and he needs you to do the same. He wouldn’t have left like he did if he thought you couldn’t.” My voice held confidence, I had no doubt about the first part of what I said, though I said nothing about Arnan’s betrayal and real reason for leaving so quickly. He couldn’t face the rest of us.

Wren nodded. “He can’t take our memories.”

“Exactly,” I put a hand on her shoulder and squeezed, before stepping around her to head back to the house. “He only thinks he’s beaten us, Wren. We’ll find a way. We always do.”

Wren watched me slightly for a long moment, before giving me a slight smile and nodded. I had the feeling we were both just trying to encourage the other. My question was, did either of us really believe what we were saying?

I followed the scent of bread all the way to the kitchen. If I could sneak a hunk I would. It smelled too good to leave alone. Daelia was just pulling a fresh batch out of four small loaves. Her face had a few white splotches on it and her apron was beyond saving. She looked sorrowful, but satisfied with her work.

“I hope those are for me,” I spoke just loud enough for her to hear me.

Daelia let out an eep and bobbled the bread, but managed to catch it on the long handled bread paddle. She swung around to glare at me. “Aiden!” She accused.

I smiled at her amused. “Are they?”

“No, as a matter of fact they are for Sam,” she said smugly as she placed them on a table and covered them with a cloth.

I glanced at the table. It was covered with loaves. “But mine are in there, right?”

She smiled softly, “Yeah.”

“Your doing great, Daelia.”

She shrugged. I could see she was holding back tears.

“You are, Daelia. Everyone will love the bread,” I said as I managed to sneak one out from one of the covers. I took a bite and the still warm bread tasted delicious. “Very good,” I muttered with an appreciating tone.

She turned to look at me. “Aiden!” She shook her head. “Those are yours, now.”

“It was worth it.”

“Did you honestly come in here to steal bread?”

“No,” I sobered quickly. “Ilara is out in the forest mutilating a tree. She climbed it before I could talk to her.”

Daelia sighed. “She’s furious.”

“We all are. I’m glad she’s taking it out on the trees,” I mused.

Daelia looked at the door, “To bad we can’t take it out on…” but she never finished the sentence.

I said nothing. I had tried to and had been beaten miserably. A failure like always. I had managed to betray my whole family by not keeping us together. And even while there was still time to redeem myself, I did nothing. I shook my head mentally, pulling myself back from the black thoughts. They weren’t helping Daelia, who was giving me a strange look. I smiled for her benefit.

“We will one day. Right now, can you help out Ilara? I think you could use a break from the baking,” I said smartly.

“Why do you think that?” Daelia asked, as she wiped her hands on her apron.

I slowly turned around the room. Every available inch of flat space was filled with bread. The cooler loaves had more piled on top of them. Daelia blushed when I finished my turn and looked back to her.

“Did you even pack?” I asked.

She lowered her head and shook it slowly. I sighed and put an arm around her shoulder. “Go get Ilara and help each other pack. There’s nothing more to cook, Daelia.”

“I know,” she whispered.

“Ilara needs you and you need her. Help each other out while you can. You’ve already helped the rest of us,” I grabbed another piece of bread to illustrate my point.

Daelia just shook her head at me and pulled off her highly floured apron. “Thanks, Aiden.”

I nodded and watched her walk out.

Thanks? I wasn’t helping anyone. I was watching and sending others. I couldn’t do anything for my family now or myself. I hadn’t packed yet either and we were leaving tomorrow. Somehow, packing just didn’t seem important. Three days hadn’t seemed enough time to pack, but it wasn’t the packing it was saying goodbye. Three final days together as a family and we had spent them apart, helping each other as it was needed, but rarely speaking. Maybe goodbyes weren’t necessary. There was nothing left to say.

***

Despite my theory that goodbyes were worthless at this point, I didn’t go to sleep on the final night. I knew my siblings well and most of them would slip off while they figured everyone was still asleep. It didn’t surprise me that Aquila didn’t even wait that long. The others had been in bed for only a few hours and that was after going to be early.

She slipped from the shadows of the room to the shadows outside. I followed quietly. She entered the stable and immerged a moment later with Tayla, her horse. She murmured soothingly to it and then placed her pack on its back. It settled there for a second, before it tumbled to the ground. Tayla startled and pranced away from the offended package. Aquila jumped herself and then quickly turned to her horse. I walked over quickly and picked up her things, placing some of them back inside the bag and tying it tightly.

“Aiden,” Aquila breathed, startled.

“Don’t worry, I’ll tie it on for you,” I said quietly, before doing just that.

She nodded and stroked Tayla’s soft head. I turned to her when I had finished.

“Do you want a hand up?” I asked.

She nodded slowly. I held out my hand and she placed hers in mine. It felt so small. Why was I letting her go off on her own again? Right, I didn’t have a choice. I helped her mount quickly and took a step back.

“Thanks,” she said quietly, gathering the reigns in her hand.

“You’ll make it, Aquila. I have faith in you.”

She stilled for a moment then glanced at me, before nodding slowly.

“Say it,” I commanded quietly.

“I’ll make it,” she repeated.

I offered her a smile. “Yep. Dues guide you.”

Aqulia turned to face front. “Yes, Dues guide me,” she said in a determined voice. She snapped the reigns and she and Tayla took off into the darkness of the morning.

It was a small relief to know that I had strengthened her a little with my words. Even if I didn’t believe them all. Only Wren and Zoe knew that I did not believe in the God I had taught my family about for years. Our parents had been firm believers and had believed in a God that demanded respect and awe, but also one that loved you dearly and wanted you to talk to him all the time. They even believed he would answer those prayers. I had taken it upon myself to teach the family their beliefs. But through the years I had seen too much and my awe of any god had disappeared. If he existed, he didn’t deserve anything from me and he certainly didn’t care about my family or want a relationship with us. Still, the words brought comfort to my siblings and for that reason alone, with my parents belief, I taught them what I did not believe in.

I purposefully blanketed my thoughts allowing the blackness to overcome any memory unwise enough to linger. The smart thing to do would be to allow sleep to enter after that, but instead I backed up and sat down on the bench outside of the stable. Ilara would probably be the next to leave and I wasn’t going to miss her.

It was still pitch dark out, having just barely made it into the morning hours, when Ilara slipped out of the house, even the animals were still asleep. If Deus did exist, even he had to hate this hour of the day.

“You can't rest until you see us all safely on our way, can you?” She gave me an amused smile when she spotted me.

“Did you expect anything else?” I asked quietly.

“No. One last time.”

“I’ll always be looking out for you all. Even if I can’t do it at your side.”

“How, Aiden?” she asked, with raised eyebrows.

“I have no idea, but trust me.”

“I do,” she said softly. “But I think this one is out of even your hands, Aiden. I have sought the one whose power could change this. I've been questioning this for days... but Deus gives me no answer.”

“I’m sure the trees are questioning you too,” I replied.

That got a small smile. “Ha, ha. Rather them than someone else.”

I nodded, “Maybe.”

“Why doesn’t Dues answer?” Ilara returned to her earlier comment.

I sighed mentally. Because he doesn’t care about us. He never has. Instead of saying it out loud I answered, “He does, Ilara. He’ll always answer, sometimes you have to wait to find out what the answer is. Keep questioning, he’s God. He can handle it.”

Ilara nodded but her eyes showed doubt. “I will not give up,” she added. Her solemnity was growing as she prepared herself for the actual goodbye.

“You and I both. Our task is to prove we are going to win this survival fight. No one can stop us, Ilara, not even Duard. Don’t let him prove us wrong.”

“Never,” she said firmly. “I promise, Adien.”

“Good,” I nodded approvingly.

She smiled at me in that meaningful way she was prone to and asked, “Will you give my farewell to the others if they ask for me? I could not bear to see them go.”

I nodded ascent.

“You are stronger than I,” she said. She embraced me briefly, turned in the direction of the river and headed resolutely down the path.

I shook my head, she was a fighter to the end. I wondered briefly if I had answered her questions correctly. I knew my parent’s answers backwards and forwards, but for some reason I was still always unsure.

A noise behind me brought me out of my thoughts and I turned to see Wren leaving the house. She walked up to me and stood at my side for at moment.

“Ilara?” she asked.

“Yes, she said to give you all her farewell.”

“Has she found peace with this?”

“Who of us has?” I looked at her. She looked like she had packed everything she owned, though that wasn’t much. She was missing only one thing. “You headed to the falcons?”

Wren nodded, “At least I can take them with me.”

“They wouldn’t want it any other way.”

Wren gave a ghost of a smile.

“Go on, Wren. It’s all right, I’m going to make sure they all get off without any problems.”

Wren nodded, “Okay.” She glanced back at the house. “I wish we could at least keep contact.”

I nodded, but she didn’t see me and she didn’t turn back around. The way to the falcon house was off to our left, so I figured she wasn’t going to either. It wasn’t a question that really needed an answer.

“Take care of yourself, Wren. Be smart out there.”

Wren nodded. “You too, Aiden. Try not to take on the whole world, okay?”

“Just my piece of it,” I answered.

She shook her head at me. “Goodbye, Aiden.”

“Yeah, Wren.”

She took off quickly for her falcon house. I had seen only three siblings leave so far, and it was killing me. I wasn’t sure I could watch the rest go, but I felt it was my duty. I glanced back at the house, but the thought of waiting there was disgusting, so I headed into the stables for some rest, though there wouldn’t be any sleeping. Whoever was leaving next would wait two or, if I was lucky, three hours anyway.

I was right. It would be a little while before Daelia excited the house. I heard her movements and left the stables to watch her. She looked up at me, but didn’t speak. I watched silently as she readied her final things. She walked over to me finally and handed me a package. I smiled as I smelled the bread inside. I had noticed the other packages outside everyone’s doors this morning. Mine had been suspiciously empty, but now I knew why.

“Thank you.”

She smiled at me, “Your welcome.”

“Be safe, Daelia,” I said.

She nodded and gave me a brave smile, “You too.”

She raised her hand in farewell and was gone in a matter of moments.

I sighed and headed back into the house. I had to pack the bread with my other things and I had gotten a second length of rope that I wanted to add to my pack. I strode into my room and placed the rope into the brown pack. I placed the bread on top and pulled the straps down tight, but without crushing the bread. That was my food for the next…. I didn’t finish the thought. Instead, I glanced around the room I had called my own. It was the size of the broom closet, just big enough to fit my bed and a wooden set of drawers. Each one was now empty. I had hooks on the wall, but they too were empty, except for the one that held my ax. It was too big to carry wherever it was I was going and the two daggers I had hidden on my body would be more effective anyway. My ever-present sword hung at my side. For all practical terms I was ready to leave.

“Aiden,” Taerith’s voice came from my doorway.

I turned around to see him standing with his own pack on and a manuscript in his head. He looked like he was ready to go spend the day in the woods studying whatever his favorite subject was for the week and had come to tell me. It was a ritual we had started as children and for some reason had never stopped it. Only, this time was very different.

“What is it this time?” I asked the age-old question anyway.

“Family history,” Taerith answered.

I shook my head at him. “Always, the most important to you. Do you know where you’re heading?”

“To freedom and answers,” he answered in his normal cryptic manner.

“The freedom I get, but what answers?” I asked.

“I’ll know when I find them,” he said in a low, but confident voice.

“I have no doubt of that, Taerith. I’ve never seen you not get an answer you wanted.”

“There is one that has eluded me,” he said quietly, I think it was mostly to himself.

I had no doubt what it was. “Our parents,” I muttered.

He glanced up at me, seeming almost surprised that I had heard him or maybe that he had spoken out loud. But he nodded his head yes.

“I’m going to fix this, Tareith,” I said finally.

“What? How?”

“I’m not sure yet, but I will. I’ll get stronger, more skillful, and I’ll fix this mess,” I stated firmly. The idea was just then forming in my head.

Taerith looked behind him and then stepped further into the room, closing the door.

“You are going to get in trouble,” he stated.

“He’s already splitting us up. What else can he do?” I whispered harshly. “Taerith, I challenged him.”

“You did what?” My brother looked at me sharply and in disbelief.

“I know, it was stupid. After you all left the room, I couldn’t take it anymore. He’s destroying our family! I challenged him, but I lost. All he had to do was command me to stop,” my voice shook in self-disgust. “I was so close and I stopped.”

“I can’t believe you are still alive,” Taerith shook his head at me.

“Why?” I sneered, “He’s already beaten us. He’s driving us apart.”

“What did he say?” Taerith asked, refocusing.

“He spat about how worthless we are and that we are no family. None of us cares or ever will, we are too worthless,” I remembered every word far too clearly.

“The same then,” Taerith mused.

“Almost….” My voice trailed off as I thought of the last thing Duard had told me. It had struck me as odd at the time, but I hadn’t been thinking totally clearly. Now the words came back again. “Your brother is not intelligent enough, nor you strong enough to take me down, but I can snap you with only a whisper,” I said it slowly as it came back.

Taerith stilled as I spoke and I watched him as he took in the words. He stayed silent though.

“Taerith, what did he mean? Was he speaking to the two of us?” I asked.

“It is possible,” he said it quietly and I knew he was processing a thousand thoughts and scenarios. “Duard has many secrets.”

I lowered my voice even more, “They won’t stay that way. Taerith, I will get stronger and the next time I challenge him I will win.”

Taerith studied me for a long moment, then nodded. “He will answer our questions, Aiden. One day.”

I held out my hand and Taerith clasped it at the wrist. As we shook, we sealed the pact. Without another word, Taerith turned, opened my door, and walked out. I had no idea when I would see him again, or if I ever would. But I knew we would both do our best to complete our words. Or we would die trying.

I shook off the dismal thought and picking up my own pack headed out the door. The sun was well in the sky now, which meant it was about midmorning. After observing the new fact, my thoughts began turning with different ways I could improve my skill level. I was fair at every weapon, but I needed to be the best with them all. I put my pack down at the stable and went through a mental list of all the weapons I knew how to use. The sword and the dagger were easily the best, but the staff and ax were not bad, and I could hit anything within a hundred yards with my bow. Though some of my sisters could still best me with that one.

“You haven’t left yet?” Sam stood in front of me.

I smiled at him. “I was waiting for you and your twin.”

“Zoe is inside,” Sam replied. “She forgot about packing. She should be done soon.”

I smiled amused, “Yeah, I figured that.”

“Yeah,” Sam repeated.

“How are you holding up?” He looked like he was ready to fall over, in all truth.

Sam shrugged, “I took all my herbs from the garden. I left it ready to plant again. It will grow wild from now on, I guess.”

“I’m sure it will be fine.”

“I’ll miss taking care of it.”

“We are all going to miss your spices and healing herbs,” I told him.

“Oh. I forgot.” He reached into the pouch at his belt and handed me a small sack. “I meant to give this too you yesterday, but…” he left off with a shrug.

“What is it?” I took the pouch from him and bounced it on my hand, testing its weight.

“Different herbs. There’s some for a stomach ach, headache, and to help stop bleeding. Do you think you remember which is which?”

“Not a clue, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out,” I smiled at him and pocketed the medicine.

“Just don’t eat the one for the bleeding,” he warned.

“Okay, I’ll figure out that one first.”

“Yeah,” he said, looking at the ground.

“Come on Sam, don’t give up already. If you’re unsure of yourself, others will doubt you too. Have faith in your abilities. You’re going to be fine.”

“Easy for you to say,” Sam muttered.

“No, not easy for me. But if I act confident, others will believe I am too. You have some great abilities. Use them and you will be fine. Don’t cut yourself so short.” I put a hand on his head and rubbed it hard, forcing his hair to go everywhere. I had done it often when he was younger.

“Hey!” Sam protested and moved out of my reach.

I grinned, yeah, he had hated it then too. Which, of course, had made it more fun to do as often as I could.

“Be confident, Sam,” I commanded lightly.

He looked up at me and nodded. “I will, Aiden, you’ll see.”

“I believe you, Sam,” I put all the confidence I could into my voice.

Sam looked proud when he started off down the road. I was proud of him. He was just like the rest of his siblings, strong and able to take whatever was thrown at him. That was why we Romany’s would survive, despite Duard’s hopes. My youngest brother would be fine.

Something clenched in my stomach. It took me a moment to realize what. Sam had left, and now only Zoe and I were left at our childhood home. Little Firebrand was the only one I had to say goodbye to yet, and of all my siblings, there was no doubt in my mind that watching her ride off would be the hardest.

A small cough from behind me made my stomach clench tighter. She was here and it was time. I turned around too look at her, her green eyes followed her twin’s movements as he turned around a bend and out of site. It was a good few minutes before she turned to look at me. Her eyes were bright, though no tears fell.

“Should we get Brac ready?” I finally asked.

Zoe nodded.

We walked into the stables together and Brac poked his head out of his stall and whinnied as he heard us approach. I let Zoe go to her horse as I stopped and grabbed his tack. I handed the bridle to her as I slipped inside the stall and placed the saddle on him. Zoe murmured to him as she placed the bridal on, but it was too low for me to hear.

“Where’s your pack?” I asked quietly.

“Outside,” she whispered.

“Bring Brac, Firebrand. I’ll get your things,” I replied soothingly.

Zoe nodded, but it was very slow and she quickly buried her head into Brac’s mane. I slipped past her, squeezing her shoulder as I did. Outside, her pack was laying where she must have dropped it when she saw Sam leaving. I picked it up and frowned. It felt lighter than it should have.

“Are you sure you have everything?” I asked as soon as she emerged, leading her horse.

“I think so, rope, clothes, food, dagger, water…” she listed off the items. When she had finished, I nodded approvingly. She had packed almost exactly what I had.

I walked to Brac and placed the pack at the back of the saddle and tied it on tightly. Zoe placed her practice sword over it.

“Aiden, will we ever see each other again?” her voice was so soft I almost couldn’t hear it.

I sighed and focused on her horse for a moment. “I don’t know, Zoe,” I finally replied. “One day I think we will.”

Zoe nodded and stroked Brac’s mane slowly. “I don’t know where to go.”

“What do you want to see more than anything else?”

“Nothing really,” she shrugged helplessly. “Where did the others all head?”

I pointed off in their various directions. She looked around and then raised her own hand to point to the mountains, a direction I hadn’t pointed in.

“I’ll go towards the mountains then,” she responded slowly.

I nodded, “Good choice.”

“What about you? Where will go you?”

I didn’t have the slightest clue. I’d go wherever I could get stronger, but that could take me anywhere. I wasn’t sure I should tell her that. “I’m going to travel a while before I decide on an exact location. I want to see all that I can first.”

“Oh,” she whispered.

She wanted a location, someplace she could think of me being. I sighed, “Come on, Little Firebrand, this is our first real adventure. Face it with excitement, not dread.”

“I can’t think of anything exciting about it,” she muttered, tangling her fingers in Brac’s mane.

I gently untangled them as I spoke, “You are heading out on your own for the first time. You have freedom now to go anywhere you want. Enjoy that and don’t give it up.”

She looked down at her hand in mine and nodded slowly. Her hand was so small, it almost got lost inside my larger one. I tightened my grip slightly. “Wherever you are, Zoe, I’ll be behind you. You’re far stronger than you give yourself credit for, quite putting yourself down and you just might see that.”

She nodded and I saw a tear slip down her cheek. She was not making this any easier for me. I tugged gently and gave her what I knew she wanted, but wouldn’t ask for. I hugged her close for a moment, then pulled back.

“Now, Firebrand, get on Brac and never look back,” I took another step back and grabbed onto Brac’s reigns. Zoe took a deep breath and climbed aboard. Once she was properly seated I handed her the reigns.

“Take care of her, Brac. Keep her safe,” I turned from the horse to look up at my youngest sister. She sat bravely on top, the tears now gone. I placed a hand on her knee and pointed forward. “Don’t look back, Firebrand, don’t look back,” I repeated my command softly and then stepped behind her.

I saw her take a deep breath and then flick the reigns. Brac turned in the direction of the mountains and stepped towards them. They were leaving. Duard had succeeded in forcing us all out. There was no way back now. We had no way to communicate and no chance of coming back together. Our family, for all purposes, had been dissolved. As I watched my closest sister, the one I had nicked named Firebrand for her spirit as much as her hair, leave for good, I felt the hatred for Duard rise up in me chest once again. My fist clenched at my side. He was going to pay for this. He would pay dearly.

Brac paused, when he was almost out of view. Don’t turn around Zoe, I urged silently, just keep going. You can do this. A few seconds later and Brac moved silently out of view, Zoe never turned around.

I picked up my own pack from its resting place on the ground and hefted it onto my back. It was heavier than Zoe’s, but not by too much. Firebrand hadn’t tuned around, but I did. I took one last long look around the place where we had grown up. Already, it had the feeling of desertion. Only a small finger of smoke rising from Duard’s room showed that someone still remained. He was an intruder in a place that was rightfully ours.

“You’ll pay, Duard. You have created an enemy. I exist for only one reason now, to bring you down. And mark me, I will.”

***

5 Comments:

Blogger The Romany Epistles said...

Wow! Awesome! Nice! Cool! :) Great job on the corrections, Kristy! Thanks for taking my suggestions on Zoe and implementing them, I like her goodbye scene even more, if that's possible. *sigh* It's so sad. Oh, and I'm not a patient person, so i would STRONGLY suggest posting chapter two, like, NOW!

*innoncent grin*

11:11 AM  
Blogger The Romany Epistles said...

Oh how I love it... :-) It's absolutely beautiful... in that sad heartbreaking sort of way. I absolutely loved each conversation and goodbye, so very well done.

I'm actually very, very, very, grateful for the tension you've added between Aiden and Arnan. I was a bit worried about that coming off wrong when I get to the end of my story, but you've given me an absolutely beautiful (hmm.. I think I like that adjective.) bouncing point for my finish.

By the way, when I get nearer to that point I should have a conversation with you about a confrontation between the two of them. I really like the idea of Aiden being the only one to know that Arnan knew what was going on, because it saves me from the mess of trying to deal with the "have a dramatic confession to the whole clan" (talk about recipe for cheesy!)

In assuming that you are continuing Aiden's story sequentially I am very curious to see his reaction to Arnan 's disgrace.


Oooh this is so exciting... :-)


and by the way I second that call for chapter two.

~Gabi

11:39 AM  
Blogger The Romany Epistles said...

Love it, wonderful chapter...I really like Aiden's character, and I love the scene between him and Daelia.

Rachel B

12:58 PM  
Blogger The Romany Epistles said...

Charissa, I did noticed one thing about Sam and Aiden's exchange that I'm wondering if it's possible for you to change ---a technical difficulty. Sam tells Aiden that Zoe forgot to pack and is doing so then, but I really need her to have packed beforehand. Is this something you can change easily, or is this a matter I need to talk to Emily about? Also, you spell Deus Dues sometimes still. ;-) But I guess it's not time to be nit picky about that sort of thing, now is it?
I love this chapter, Charissa. It is really, really awesome and it does a splendid job of showing what a great big brother Aiden is, as well as showing the inner conflicts which he keeps to himself. He's so nice, you can turn him into a villain!!! Say it isn't so! But I'm sure I'll love your story, even if Aiden breaks my heart in the middle. *sniff, sniff*. I guess I shall have to adjust.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did anyone hear that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.
[url=http://amazon.reviewazone.com/]Stephanie[/url]

4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home