Monday, February 04, 2008

CHAPTER 22 – NOTHING MUST CHANGE

AIDEN

I have no idea how I made it back to the tavern. My entire body felt as if it were numb. I couldn’t think and I could barely move. The tavern wench pulled on my arm and asked me something as I moved past her, but I pushed her off. When I made it upstairs it was to find Kristalyn crouched outside my door. She stood up calmly as I walked towards her.

She studied my face for a moment, and then spoke in a low voice. “I was trying to get him out. He’s quite upset with you.”

Without comment, I handed her the key. Our hands touched briefly as she took it and my numb brain wondered at the contact. I stepped back and Kristalyn unlocked the door. Egan flew out, screaming angrily. His eyes lit with a dark vengeance when he spotted me. Kristalyn grabbed the lithe dragon before he could launch an attack.

“No, Egan. You’ve done enough damage to the room, I’m sure,” her voice still held a calm tone.

How much did she know of what had happened at her brother’s house? The term made me want to choke. And why wasn’t she tearing me to bits herself for tying and drugging her? The question went unasked as I moved past her and into the room or what was left of it.

The bed was spewed through the room. Each piece of furniture had claw marks, if it was even left standing. The few personal things I had were either ripped to shreds or oddly twisted and bent. This would coast a fortune to fix. I should force Kristalyn to pay for the mess.

But I barely looked at it as I crossed the room to look out the window, the only thing not broken in the room. Behind me, I could hear Kristalyn arguing Egan into her own room and closing the door firmly. I knew the second she had reenter my room, thought she didn’t say a word. Neither did I.

They were siblings. If Zoe’s image was still around she would be brow beating me. But she had disappeared when Kristalyn had entered my life. Kristalyn, my main problem. If I didn’t know about this… about her… it wouldn’t matter. I wouldn’t have an issue killing the Hunter. But I did know. Still, I had suspected before and that hadn’t stopped me. Why should it matter now that I knew the truth? But it did. Taerith, Daelia, Ilara, Wren, Aquila, Sam, Zoe, and even Arnan insured that it did. Now, I had a choice. One I didn’t know how to make. My freedom and perhaps my family was on one side and Kristalyn and her bother, the Hunter, were on the other. What was I supposed to chose?

“He’s your brother?” I asked out loud.

“He told you?” She questioned back, her voice holding only mild surprise.

“Yes.”

“He is,” she confirmed calmly.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I didn’t want you to use me against him,” she paused. “But you did anyway, didn’t you?”

“I said he couldn’t protect you.”

“I see.”

I knew she did.

“Does he know that I am with you here?”

“No, though he may suspect.”

“I won’t thank you for that one.”

“I didn’t expect you too.” I heard her move to what was left of the desk and lean against it. She waited silently. Finally, I said, “I need to know the rest of it, Kristalyn.”

“Yes, I suppose you do.” Her voice held acceptance and an assurance that she had known this was coming. How I wasn’t sure, probably another conversation from her supposed god. Regardless, I knew she wasn’t going to lie to me. From this point on, everything would be the truth. Somehow I knew neither of us doubted that.

“Tray is my brother and our father was the Hunter. He was on a mission here in the city when he was accused of being a spy.” Kristalyn paused a moment and I turned to study her.

She leaned against the desk with the same cat like grace of her panther, looking both strong and comfortable at the same time. I checked her wrists to see slight red marks from where I had tied her up. I frowned, not liking them. Her hair was swept back off her face, but it had been done quickly for many strands had come out to frame her face. Her green eyes were a shade darker than normal and held the sadness of time past, as well as the determination to see this through.

So, her brother wasn’t the original Hunter. Her father was. Ricald would love that piece of information.

“Lieutenant Ricald was his accuser,” she continued.

Well, there was a surprise. Ricald had already killed the Hunter once and didn’t even know it. The rank was different too.

“He and the king were so eager to make an example, my father never made it to the executioner’s square. They murdered him right in the palace courtyard. He never had a chance.”

No wonder she had reacted to Ricald’s name that way.

“I was sixteen, Tancred seventeen. Together with our mother, Shyla, we agreed to carry on my father’s mission.” She took a deep breath and for the first time looked into my eyes as she continued. “Tray became the Hunter and I became his ace. We’ve been Aerilya’s greatest asset ever since.”

“And after I kill him?” My eyes never left hers.

“You already know.”

I did.

“Aerilya will fall to Elangsia.”

But apparently she was still going to explain it.

“My mother and I will have lost my brother in the same way we did my father and I will be crushed.”

Of all things she could make a point of, why did it have to be that?

“Aiden?” She stood from her leaning position and took a step towards me, waiting until my eyes once again met hers. “Will you take my brother away from me?”

Why! Why me? I couldn’t back down. I couldn’t give in to defeat. Not even for this!

“Yes.” I stated it with conviction I did not feel.

She nodded slowly. “Then I will stop you, but somehow I do not think it will come to that.” Her voice was very soft and firm and it held the conviction of some knowledge I did not have.

She left the room as quietly as she came in. Not really understanding what I was doing, I cleared a place on the floor and laid down.

Kristalyn’s question still hummed in my ears, as it would for the rest of the night. “Aiden, will you take my brother from me?”

***

Her question was the only thing on my mind when I woke up, if I had even gone to sleep. I couldn’t be sure. All I knew was her soft voice questioning me, torturing me.

I didn’t have a choice! Couldn’t she understand that? Did I? Perhaps I was fooling myself. Perhaps it was finally time to reevaluate my existence and allow myself to go back to the time I had forgotten.

For years, I had lived with my brothers and sisters. We were close, yet spent most of our time apart. Our parents had taught us to love, yet our fate was to be taught to hate. Deus deserted us and Duard entered our lives taking our parents and our peaceful existence.

I could feel that very hate building up inside of me as thoughts of our so called guardian plagued my mind. No one could be crueler to children then he was. He never had to lay a finger on us, his torture was so much worse. Aquila’s silent tears as Duard taunted her _________________. Ilara’s horrified shaking as Duard forced her to first snap and then drop one by one the precious arrows Daelia had carved for her into the unforgiving fire. Daelia’s little gasps for breath as Duard forcefully removed her from the forest and into the kitchen with no light forbidding her to leave again. Taerith’s clenched fists as his few precious manuscripts burned. Arnan’s reckless attempts to fight as ____________________________. These were the tortures Duard put us through and we each had far too many inflicted upon us. Until at last, Duard pulled his final attack. The one he knew would shatter us all. He split us to the far corners of the world forbidding even the slightest contact with our brothers and sisters. Those who had stayed so strong together, he now tore apart, rendering each of us worthless, useless, and forgotten.

From somewhere far in the reaches of my mind, Duard’s last cruel, hateful words reached out to me, “You pathetic little ingrate. Your brother is not intelligent enough, nor you strong enough to take me down, but I can snap you with only a whisper. Go.” And I had.

But that was why I fought! That’s why I had become the monster inside me. I would be strong enough. I would crush Duard. He would pay fully for his actions against my family. He would pay with his life and his soul. I would see to that. I would bring the justice Deus had denied us. I would be the revenge. And then, when it was safe once again, I would bring my family back together. That was why I existed and that was the only reason. Everything else would fall away to accomplish that.

“Egan! Was that really necessary?” Her voice came through the wall.

Kristalyn. Her name cut through the blackness in my mind. Was she to be a sacrifice on my journey? It was her brother that stood in my way. I would not be free of my attachment to the army until he was dead. His death was the ultimate test. With him gone by my hand, I might finally be ready to take down Daurd. I could takes his life and complete my own role in fate’s cruel hands.

“Come on! Help me, please!” her voice pleaded.

Her voice and words streaked to my heart making me unsteady on my feet. She mattered, I didn’t know how or why, but she did.

“And I will be crushed. Aiden? Will you take my brother away from me?”

I slammed down my shaking fist on the desk. How had she dispelled my anger? I needed it. I had to complete my mission. I had to justify my existence. But more than that…slowly, I raised my clutched fist to eye level and stared at it, clenching it even harder. More than that, I could not betray my family again. I must do this. I must fight.

Forcefully, I removed Kristalyn’s voice from my mind. I would complete my mission. I would not fail. I would kill the Hunter and the sooner I did the better.

Now, if only I could remove her name from my heart.

***

KRISTALYN

I looked up in surprise when I heard the bang on the other side of the wall. Egan snickered and I glared at him before gazing back at the wall concerned.

What was he doing over there? He hadn’t acted normally since he left Tray’s house in the early hours of the morning. I had followed him for a short time before cutting ahead. He had been walking like he was in pain or shock. His eyes had said the same thing when I saw him outside his door. But then nothing about the night’s activities had been normal, starting with his drugging me. I smiled grimly as I let my mind go over the events yet again.

I had known Aiden was going to try something, but I wasn’t sure what. So, in preparation, I had hidden a knife just under the edge of the mattress of my bed and a second one by the desk. I hadn’t expected him to drug the food, but I noticed it shortly after eating. Egan went out first, but I managed to make it to my bed before I succumbed to the need for sleep. Since I expected something, I hadn’t been too concerned to wake up and find my hands and feet tied. It did take some time to shake off the effect of the drugs and work my way to where I had hidden the knife. It was only after I freed myself that I realized Egan was gone. What surprised me more though, was that Aiden had put a blanket over me. It made sense if he thought it would hinder my movement, but he had to know it wouldn’t be that effective, so why did he cover me? The question was still on my mind when I found the door locked. I was hardly surprised by that and dispatched it quickly, having learned from lost time what to do.

Knife in hand, I raced down the hallway, almost missing the fact that Aiden’s door was similarly locked. That explained Egan’s disappearance. Since there was no sound coming from the room, I figured he was still asleep, though it wouldn’t have mattered. I didn’t have time to stop even if he was awake.

I raced to Tray’s house as fast as I could, stealing up the alleyway, but Aiden was nowhere in sight. The door to Tray’s house was open, however. Aiden was already inside.

I shuddered as I remembered the fear hat had gripped me at that point. The fear of being too late plagued me yet again. I hated that feeling and with Aiden it was coming far too often. I shook of that thought, not wanting to push it any farther, and let my mind go back to the following events.

I entered the house calmly and quietly. But it didn’t take long for the clashing of swords to reach my ears. I hurried forward and passed by the kitchen. The black pot on the shelf looked like it was waiting for me. I grabbed it and crept towards the noise. The sight in the back room would stop me cold.

My brother and Aiden were both fighting for their lives. A complete coldness and horror stole over me. I feared for their lives. I could understand my brother, but my reaction for Aiden’s life made no sense. In that moment, his life was just as important to me.

The reaction had stunned me so much it took an extra moment to realize they were exchanging words. Or rather, Aiden was taunting Tray and it was working. I had never seen Tray lose his concentration, but then no one had ever known every one of his weak spots to hit. Aiden hit and twisted with his words as much as his sword, even lying to accomplish his goal.

And then Tray went down.

My world froze, even as I heard Aiden say, “Freedom,” and I launched the pot.

I shook my head, still trying to remember how I had managed to launch the pot right then, but I couldn’t. What was worse was where I had aimed for. If it had been anyone else, I wouldn’t have even hesitated. I would have launched the pot right at the attacker’s head. Tray could deal with him after that. But this wasn’t just any attacker. It was Aiden. And my reaction to seeing him fight for his life earlier was still vivid in my mind. I feared for his life and I couldn’t hurt him, no matter what he as attempting to do. My reaction made no sense, but then nothing had since I had met him.

When he turned to look at me, I was sure he could tell exactly what I was thinking. He was learning to read me far too well. His eyes met mine and somehow I knew he was surprised at the attack, not at me. He hadn’t expected me to be there, but if anyone interrupted this it would be me. I held his gaze for a moment, before shaking my head no. His attack was over for the night and we both knew it. With that knowledge, I ducked away to wait outside. He followed only moments later.

It must have been during that time that he taunted Tray about me and my brother had revealed our relationship. Tray must have been devastated and very confused to give out such information. He would never do it consciously. And now he would be even more worried about me.

I flopped back onto my bed and sighed. He didn’t need one more thing on his mind. What did he think happened to me? Did he think Aiden had captured me or tortured me? Or did he think I was helping the assassin?

Guilt flooded me. I was helping him. But perhaps what was worse was that I had no intention of stopping.

The door opened next to me and I heard Aiden leave his room. I glanced out the window. It was well into the afternoon. He had slept all morning. I rose and quickly left my room, closing the door gently behind me. Aiden made no move to acknowledge my presence, but he had to know I was there. We left the tavern and walked to the market. I hadn’t bothered to keep pace behind him like this in a while, but I felt it was necessary today. Besides, it left us both alone with out thoughts.

As we walked, my thoughts centered on him. What was it about him that made me care? All of his actions should lead me to despise him. I thought about that for a moment and realized it wasn’t true. Most of his actions, especially the large ones, did require that response. Most of his words did too. Yet, there were times when I saw a completely different man than the hardened killer who hunted my brother.

A cold blooded killer would spare no one in his search for his prey. Yet, Aiden had spared me and I was sure others. He had spats with Maglynar, yet he made sure all his needs and wants were covered. He pulled a distraught girl from the execution square and back to her senses. He even did something as simple as covering her with a blanket. I snickered. Of course, that was after he drugged and tied me.

Aiden must have heard me, because he looked back. I smiled, still amused, and he turned away quickly.

But it was more than that. It was his eyes and the way he carried himself. Both spoke of pain. It was a pain so deep it was the birth of his hatred. I was sure of it. I just didn’t know the cause. The underlining things I saw in him, that was his true personality, but his pain and hatred overrode all of that.

“Deus, I know you want me to reach him, but I feel like I’m running out of time. I’ve tried so hard to be patient and calm with him, but is it doing any good? I’ve seen the vengeance in him, Deus. His eyes were so hard, they glazed with bloodlust, during that first murder attempt. I’m afraid, Deus, what if he does kill Tray before I can reach him?”

I shook my head. “But it is different. Something happened. I sensed it last night. He’s changed. He’s concerned about something. Last night, when I questioned him about taking my brother from me he didn’t like it. Is that where his pain comes from? His own family? What was his family like? Did he have a wife and child? Were they taken from him?”

I quieted as we started passing more people in the market, yet the questions continued and I didn’t have any answers. The only man who could answer them wasn’t talking. I frowned as I watched his movements. This was no supply trip, he was staging the area.

We were standing almost in the middle of the road. On our left was a road that headed towards Tancred’s house and on our right a food stall. Next to the stand that was currently making my stomach growl was a fruit stall that had several very large wooden boxes stacked haphazardly against its side. Aiden eyed the boxes for a moment before his gaze shifted down the street. I followed it. After the boxes was another road that led towards the south end of the city, followed by two more stalls, the latter one being the butcher shop that Aiden had secured meat from for Maglynar. And covering a large section across from the butcher shop and more towards the middle of the road was the Executioner’s Square, I suppressed the shudder that wanted to run though me.

“He didn’t die here, Kristalyn. Remember that,” I quoted to myself.

I forced myself to look along the side of the street coming back towards us, but that side was all shops. Everything from a stone caster’s, to a blacksmith, a rug booth, and a tailor’s lined the streets. People moved in and out of all of them. Aiden turned around and cast another look at the stacked boxes before giving a slight nod to his head.

His next attack would be right here. I realized with dismay. Yet, there were so many innocent people. Had I been wrong? What was he thinking?

Attacking in the market was extremely risky. All the people would make things more difficult for Aiden to aim and Tancred to avoid unless he had some way to shape that to his advantage. But Aiden had always attacked when he had a guarantee of no interruptions. Except for me of course, I amended my thought. Still, why all the risk now? What could he have up his sleeve?

An impossible thought truck me then. Unless he wanted to give Tray the advantage of all the people. What if he was evening the playing court? After all, Tray wouldn’t expect him to attack here, because it went completely against Aiden’s previous attempts, at the same time all the distractions could only help Tray be on more of an alert status.

I watched as he abruptly changed course and headed back to the inn. He completely ignored me as he passed by. I frowned. He hadn’t done that in a long time.

“Aiden, what’s going on? What are you thinking?”

***

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Rossano said...

Have I mentioned that I love how you are working with these characters? If not, I am telling you now. :) Keep up the good work!

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a lot of fun to read. The action slowed down a little bit, but we can't expect every chapter to be a sword duel in tight quarters between Aiden and Tancred. :-)

I'm glad to see that Aiden is up and running again. I missed all my characters over the holidays.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

I was so glad to see another chapter of Aiden up! I liked this chapter... though not full of action, it has a lot of substance. As a writer myself, it's so fun to read other people's stories and not have to concentrate on editing so much. ;) It was a fun read!
~ Ashley

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home