Monday, August 18, 2008


Hey All. Thanks for the comments. As you have requested here is CHAPTER 35. It's rather short, but necessary. Hopefully, you will find it fun as it moves Aiden forward to his next step.



CHAPTER 35 ~ A PATH TO FOLLOW

TWO YEARS SEVEN MONTHS

AND FOUR WEEKS AFTER BANISHMENT

AIDEN

The village was more of a fortress than it was the small town I thought it would be. Most of it was built directly into the rocks at the base of three mountains that joined together. The base of the middle mountain seemed to hold a miniature castle and the rocks surrounding it were formed into smaller houses. A rock wall, well over head high, surrounded the exposed part of the village. In its center, were more buildings and although they weren’t attached to the mountains themselves, they too were made mostly of stone. We could see it all from our vantage point on a mountain path across and above from the village. The three of us paused to take in the rather impressive sight.

Magnar, Kurioden, and Egan had found a deep cave that was rather a tight fit with a griffin inside, however, it would protect them all from the whipping wind and their body heat would keep each other warm. They had been left with the last of the food supplies and instructions to hunt out whatever they needed to eat. Judging by the structure of the village, Kristalyn had been right when she had said that we would not be able to escape from the structure without notice. Leaving to often would cause suspicion we wanted to avoid and we defiantly didn’t want to give away the animals position. Still, looking at the stone structure before us, I wouldn’t have minded having Magnar along. It would be difficult, if not impossible to communicate if I needed him, and leaving him with a promise that I would call should I have need, was the only way to get him to agree to stay behind.

“Let me try to get us in, Aiden,” Kristalyn spoke from my side, looking at the fortress herself.

“Why?”

“There will be guards at the gate and we’ll need a good excuse,” she explained calmly.

“What did you come up with that is better than last time?” I asked, with a smirk.

She shot a glare at me, obviously remembering quite well our first time into Ruma’s gate. “We don’t have a lot of contact with these people, however, it is well known that they harbor escaped slaves and they don’t take kindly to people trying to liberate those taking refuge in their walls. I’m hoping news of the war will be of enough interest to get us in.”

“It will look suspicious if a girl is giving the orders,” I commented.

“Not if that girl is the Hunter’s sister,” was the calm reply.

I shrugged. “Have it your way.”

She gave me a curious glance at my reply, but nodded and headed down the path towards the city. Travon glanced at me and followed. It hadn’t been that bad of a response, just one she wouldn’t hear often. I simply hadn’t felt like having meaningless arguments lately, now arguments to get a rise out of her, those were fun.

The two guards at the gate called for us to halt well away from them.

“Who are you? And what is your business in Cequelet?” One called over the distance.

“We have come baring news of the war,” Kristalyn called back, moving her horse to the front.

“Of Elangsia and Aerilya’s war? We have no interest in their affairs!” Came the rapid response.

“But the freed slaves taking refuge here will!” Kristalyn replied calmly.

The guards paused to look at each other. “What news do you bring?” One finally asked.

“I would speak to your Elder,” Kristalyn responded.

“You offer no proof of your mission. We will not allow bounty hunters’ inside our village.” It was not a voice to be argued with.

The news was good for me, however. If Arnan had come here, perhaps they had unwittingly helped to protect him.

“I am no bounty hunter. I have spent my life freeing the slaves you protect. I am the Hunter’s sister,” her voice was bold and full of confidence.

I felt something stir in me as I heard it. Pride?

There was silence as the two debated between them the likelihood of that particular fact. Finally, they turned back towards us. “What news do you bring?”

“The war is over. I will say no more but to you Elder. Call him if you do not wish us inside. But be quick about it.” It rang with royal impatience.

The guards were obviously miffed by the new attitude, but it got results as one headed to the wall and knocked three times, a small rock was slid out of the way and then slide back. In short order, the door was opened slightly and a small elder man with three others, all on horseback, rode out the gate. They stopped within talking distance.

The elder man smiled in a welcoming manner, though his words still spoke of distrust. “You claim to be the Hunter’s sister?”

Kristalyn shook her head. “I do not claim it, I am his sister. And you are?”

“I am Elder Hiram. Have you a name yourself, Sister of the Hunter?”

“Kristalyn is my given name. My companions are Aiden and Travon.” She motioned to us each in turn.

The Elder nodded a greeting. “I am pleased. Now, you said you come baring news of the war? Is it at last over?”

Kristalyn nodded. “Yes. Aerilya is the victor.”

Elder Hiram was silent for a moment. “The victor how? Has the war ended or is only one more pause in its long history?”

“We defeated Elangsia and Queen Brysa now sits on the throne,” Kristalyn finally gave more relevant information.

“Interesting. That would change much for our people. But you did not just come to our fair city during what promises to be a harsh winter to tell us of this news. What else do you seek here, child?” Elder Hiram asked in gentler voice.

“You are wise, Elder. I too have need of information only you can give me, though I fear it may already be too late for my friend. I am hopeful the information I can give you will at least save others from more pain.” Kristalyn’s eyes and voice spoke of a pain only she knew.

It was not my brother that caused her thoughts now. It could only be someone from her own past.

Elder Hiram nodded. “Come, child. We will speak of your news and of my own. Bring your friends, if you will it.”

Kristalyn nodded her thanks and the seven of us proceeded through the now open gates. The village inside was of moderate size and the people inside looked poor and yet more content then most I had seen. They also looked to be warmer. The temperature had been dropping steadily every day and our own warm clothing was not holding up so well. We would have to purchase a few more layers while we were able too.

A small tavern was situated on the outskirts of the center of town and I made a mental note to visit later and see what I could learn. Shops and houses intermingled through the rest of the village and it was easy to tell the place was self-sufficient. Being so secluded would make that a necessity. We received as many wary stares as we did welcoming ones. Obviously, most were confident no one would be allowed in the city who could possibly pose a threat to them, though even the children’s faces held the look of seeing far too much in far too little of time.

We rode directly through the center of the town and straight to the miniature castle, which up close looked more like an over grown house. Three small boys and a girl met us and took our reins.

“We want those back,” Travon muttered to one of the boys.

The boy looked at him with wide eyes, but Elder Hiram laughed, obviously having overheard.

“Do not worry, my boy. You may exit with everything you came. It is up to you if you exit with more.”

“What?” Travon asked, with a very confused look.

“Knowledge, my dear boy. You can always gain more of it, but only if you listen and learn.” Elder Hiram grinned at him. “And that is your lesson for the day. Now come, we have things to discuss!”

He entered the door and led the way down a long stone hall decorated only with rugs hanging on the walls. Someone didn’t know they were supposed to be on the floor, which was oddly bare. None of the archways had doors, so you could see into each room, which seemed to get larger the more we passed. Two of the guards with us split off into the first room. The fourth room was the size of our entire main house in Braedoch Forest if I was remembering right. In the middle of it, was a large table already set and waiting for the food. Elder Hiram motioned for us to sit.

“Now, Lady Kristalyn, tell me of the war beyond our guardian mountains,” he commanded, lacing his fingers together and focusing on her.

“Elangsia and Aerilya met on the field of battle over a month ago now. In the ensuing fight, Elangsia’s king was killed and his daughter, now Queen Brysa, took his place. She and King Jaeger formed a treaty that brought the two countries into peace. One of the conditions was that all slaves be freed and allowed to return to their homes, if so desired. Even now both countries are working to abolish the remnants left over. Your people can return to their homes if they wish.”

Elder Hiram sat back with a whoosh of breath and closed his eyes. He was silent for a moment as he contemplated the changes this would make to the lives of the people in his village. “This is good news you have brought us and yet disturbing just the same,” he said finally.

Why?” Travon asked. I glared at him, but he shrugged and said, “What?”

“It is a fine question, Aiden.” Elder Hiram opened his eyes and looked at the boy. This man didn’t miss much even with his eyes closed! “Many will wish to return home and this will hurt our village’s ability to be sufficient. However, it will bring peace to many who long to see old friends and relatives once again. It will bring large upheaval changes to our society and yet, it is good.”

Travon nodded like he understood, maybe he did. But I was getting anxious for news of Arnan. Ever minute we wasted explaining to this elder about his village’s good problem was more time for Arnan to get into trouble.

“It is a problem that will require much thought, but my people will be pleased to hear it just the same.” Elder Hiram smiled. “Now, Lady, what information do you seek of your friend?”

“His name is Arnan. Has he come through here at all?” Kristalyn let anxiousness seep into her voice. I wasn’t impressed she couldn’t be that anxious for my brother.

“Arnan. Hmmm, I cannot recall hearing the name in recent times. Do you have a last name and a frame of time?” Elder Hiram asked thoughtfully.

Kristalyn looked at me and I nodded slightly. If I wanted the information, I would need to give up more details.

“He is Arnan Romany, but the time frame is harder. It would be anywhere from now through the last year or year and a half.”

He nodded. “It is still not familiar to me, but everyone who passes through here is registered. I would suggest you look into our archives. Mahan can take you there and show you where to look.” He indicated the man standing behind him. “How long do you plan on staying in our city, friends?”

“As long as it takes,” I answered for us all.

He nodded. “You are welcome, but if you plan on staying longer than a week, you must plan on spending the next few months. The weather has been colder this year, even for the mountains and it will not be an unpleasant winter to travel through.”

Kristalyn nodded. “We understand. Thank you for your generosity. Can we seek lodging at the tavern we passed?”

“They do not have many rooms, but I believe they will be able to accommodate you. Thank you for your news and Deus guide in your search.” Elder Hiram stood and then made a slight bow, before exciting the room.

Mahan motioned to the door. “This way, please. Would you like to visit the archives or go to the tavern first?”

Kristalyn and Travon looked at me. We could all use a rest and good food, but the call of being so close to finding Aiden pulled on me more. “I will go to the archives. You two head to the tavern and secure us rooms and food.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Kristalyn said as Travon let out a breath of relief.

I glanced at him. “Don’t stuff yourself.”

“Never. What about our horses?” He asked.

“I can take you to them now. You can stable them behind the tavern and then I will lead Aiden to the archives,” Mahan replied, before leading the way out the door.

***

The archives was far too large of a room in the back of the cool palace. What light there was came from small candles that were incased in glass to keep them from accidently burning what they were not suppose too. It would have been an improvement if they had taken out some of the parchments, like over half. Recording every person to ever enter the city took up more room then anyone should be forced to read. Thankfully, they were at least all labeled and Mahan proved to be helpful in cutting down the amount to go through. Still, it was taking far too long and I was bored.

“I brought you something,” Kristalyn’s voice came from behind me. I turned to see her holding a large plate, heaping with food.

My mouth immediately responded by watering. “Looks great.”

She smiled. “I thought you might enjoy it. How’s it going?”

“I can’t find him and I’m not through half of these records yet. I’m starting to doubt he was here,” I responded discouraged. If Arnan hadn’t been here, I had no idea where to look for him next and how many others were close to trapping him.

“Take a break and eat. I can look for you,” she said, placing the tray on an empty table nearby.

I gladly gave up my seat and started in on the food. Peace reigned for a while as the two kept searching and I filled my vastly empty stomach.

“Where’s Travon?” Eventually I realized he wasn’t around.

“He’s rediscovering the comforts of a bed and exploring.”

“Ah,” I responded, finishing the last of my food and heading back to the table. No one looked up for a very long time.

Hours later, I wasn’t sure if I was furious or just extremely upset. We had been at it for far too long with absolutely no results. Arnan was not mentioned anywhere. If there records were accurate, and by the amount in this room, they hadn’t missed anyone, Arnan had never passed through this village.

I no longer had any idea where he was, the only thing I was sure about was that he was in trouble. Kristalyn had confirmed the rumor at the mountain pass town that he was indeed on the run. But where? How could I protect him if I couldn’t find him?

“Aiden?” Kristalyn’s voice reached me.

“What?” I growled.

“It’s not my fault, so don’t get upset with me!” She exclaimed.

“Yeah, what?” I said again, but calmer this time.

“What do you want to do now?”

I heaved a sigh. “I don’t know.”

***

Two days later I was still unsure. There was a chance Arnan was headed in this direction and if that was true I was ready and waiting for him. However, if that wasn’t true, then he was in trouble somewhere else and I was wasting everyone’s time. I was all too aware of that.

Kristalyn was homesick and I knew it. She never bothered to speak of it, but there was a new kind of pain and impatience in her eyes. As long was we kept moving her goal for staying with me kept her occupied, but the waiting was killing her and focusing her thoughts on who she had left behind. She shouldn’t have come with me in the first place. I should have insisted she go home to her brother, but something always stopped me and it wasn’t that I knew she would ignore my suggestion anyway.

Whatever my decision I had to make it soon. Snow had fallen the night before. The mountain tops were coated with it and there would be more on the way. If we did not leave the village quickly, we would be stuck.

I left my room and knocked on the door to Kristalyn’s. She opened immediately.

“What is it?” She asked, her green eyes meeting mine.

“I’m going out to see Magnar.”

Her eyes became concerned. “Are you okay?”

“Just restless. I thought maybe flying with him would help clear my head. I know you want to make a move soon.”

I watched her take in my words. Her mouth twitched in a smile. “Make a move?”

“You don’t want to be here all winter anymore than I do.”

“Right.” She looked at me steadily, but didn’t say anything else.

“I’ll be back.”

“How do I know you’re not going to run away?” She smiled.

“Run away?” I asked, before memories of previous conversations flooded back. “You couldn’t stop me if you wanted too.” I turned and headed down the hallway.

“Aiden!” She called.

I turned back slightly.

Her green eyes sparkled. How had I failed to notice them for so long? “I already did.”

That was how… her annoying attitude, but before I could responded, she was in her room and closing the door.

I guess the fact that my thoughts centered on her the whole way to the gate shouldn’t have been a surprise, but it was too me. When I wasn’t thinking about my siblings, she seemed to be the one that occupied all my thoughts lately.

I nodded to the guards as I rode past and called down, “just need a bit of fresh air.”

One nodded as the other waved. Once you were past their defenses everyone’s attitude changed. They were suddenly open and friendly. It was strange to witness, but helpful nonetheless.

Outside the walls, the path leading up to Magnar and the other’s home was just off to the side and I found it quickly. It took longer for the horse to make its way up than it had down, but he managed in a relatively quick amount of time.

“Magnar!” I called out, as soon as I crested the top shelf of where their cave lay.

It wasn’t Magnar who exited the cave though. To my surprise, Kurioden greeted me. I dismounted and put a hand on his head, stroking it in greeting. I kept the other hand tightly on the reins of my horse, but four weeks of travel with the large black cat had calmed any original fears.

“Where is Magnar?” I asked, the panther.

He growled and motioned back to the cave with his head before heading in that direction himself.

“He’s in the cave and he didn’t come?” I asked, surprised.

I entered the cave and saw the large griffin lounging on the floor and taking up all the space. Egan was on a small shelf above pretending not to notice the peasants below. I took that in with a quick glance, but it was the white spot on the griffins back that stopped me cold.

Magnar looked up at me.

“Aiden! Come friend has! Happy you are!”

“Happy I’m not! How long as that little mite been here?” I exclaimed.

The white falcon ruffled his feathers at being called a ‘mite.’

Egan clacked out a brief answer and I looked to Magnar for a translation.

The griffin ducked his head, but responded, “Yesterday.”

“He came yesterday and you didn’t think I might want to know about that?” I shouted.

All the animals winced as the sound echoed off the cave walls. I hoped they all went deaf.

“Talk to you we could not. No choice but to wait had we.” Magnar explained calmly.

“You could have thought of something and you know it!” I accused harshly. “Does he have a letter for me?”

Magnar spoke to the falcon and he obediently held out his leg. Attached to it was a small piece of parchment.

Wren had written back.

I snatched the letter and opened it quickly, completely ignoring the angry screeches of the displaced bird and Magnar’s reproachful look.

Dear Aiden,

Our brother is far from Cequelet, although many believe he has killed the King and Queen of Aerisea. He hasn’t fallen that far. You are chasing my shadow that I left to draw others off Arnan’s trail.

Beware Deus’ plans might bring you peace despite your best effort.

Your Sister,

Wren

Arnan wasn’t even close by, but he was in trouble. My sister was as smart as ever, setting a false trail for Arnan’s safety. I would spread the tale myself. She had deliberately ignored my question about who she was with, I noticed. Two lines of her letter did seem to stick out above all others though and my eyes refused to be stripped away from them. Slowly, I read each again.

He hasn’t fallen that far.

Beware Deus’ plans might bring you peace despite your best effort.

Arnan had not stooped so low or fallen so far, but I had. I had killed in cold blood and done so without remorse. My sister could not know that, yet by holding our brother up, she condemned me. Could Deus even bring peace to such a man? Were my efforts concentrated on thwarting Him? Kristalyn had mentioned a plan not so long ago in which Deus was in control and I had only two options. Worse, Gidryon and then a voice I could not deny as Deus’ had challenged my path, challenged me to a solution supposedly only Deus had for me. Wren could know none of this! And yet in her words…

It was the same as always. No matter where I chose to run, Deus seemingly chose to pursue. What made it worse than anything, was that I could no longer deny His existence. Not if he could corner me in such a way. He was real.

I stared at the paper in my hands as my thoughts raced forward. I had denied Deus existence ever since my parents’ deaths. Could I have been so wrong? I had taught my siblings about a god I did not believe in, but apparently one who believed in me… at least in my existence. But what of my purpose, the path I now followed?

My purpose… what was it again? To fight, to protect…to fight Duard and protect my family. That was my purpose and why I existed. Nothing, not even Deus could change that path. He wouldn’t. I had to fight, to finish my mission.

I looked at the letter again.

Peace.

There would be no peace for me or my family until they were finally safe. Arnan was still hunted. He needed a place he could rest, where he could find the peace that eluded me. He needed to go home. We all did.

And that meant I had to be ready to fight. I had to take Duard out. I had to go back.

***

5 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

I love this chapter! This is one of my favorites. Awesome job!

~ Ashley

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Thanks for the new chapter of Aiden. Hmm, oh yeah, I had wanted to ask you how old Travon was. I can't seem to remember his age. Anyway, you are doing a great job with Aiden. I'm going to be sad when his story is over. HOw long have you guys been writing the Romany Epistles?

5:08 PM  
Blogger Brittany Simmons said...

Great chapter. This story is progressing, and I'm getting antsy for more. It's so hard to read this stories when they get close to the end, because you just want to keep reading and you can't. Post more soon!

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good chapter...I loved the end!! More please!! I agree with Katie and Brittany, as much as I want to read the rest of the story, I don't want it to end either...I will be quite sad when Aiden is finished, but I can't wait to see what happens! Great job!

Libby

9:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That was a cool chapter! I like the town the dudes are staying in. You wrote it well.

Now, I'm sort of confused. This is the way I see the situation of Duard and all that. Aiden has to kill him, but then he comes back to save Arnan?

Or is he going to save Arnan, then go back with him to kill Duard? Hmm.

Okay. I'll find out soon enough on Chapter 36. I'm a little behind in all of this, so I have some catching up to do!

Hope to see you soon,

-Mal

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home