Thursday, July 03, 2008

CHAPTER 32
A CHOICE

Hello All! Sorry to make you wait so long. I have added a few more chapters during your reading break. I believe I now have to write about eight more chapters and the story will be finished. Ah, how odd that will feel! Of course, that is all provided that Aiden and Kristalyn do their part and that hasn't been going so well lately. Everything I try to write from this chapter forward, they seem to believe they have something better and proceed to write it with or without my permission. Good thing I've learned they are usually right! For instance, Aiden did his own little rewrite in this section, I'm sure your recognize it when you get there. I questioned him about it, but he said he had to do it and of course that meant I shrugged and let him. For all my complaining, you must realize that as a writer it is our greatest frustration, but also our greatest joy when characters come into their own and take over their story. To us, it means they have fully developed into characters we can love and share an adventure with. I hope you are able to do that with Aiden, Kristalyn, and their friends!

On to your comments: I'm glad you all liked the chapter and the ending of it left your heads spinning! I know that was the way Kristalyn felt and I wanted you to be able to get her full reaction. While you won't have to follow Arnan's story as you did Zoe's, I would highly recommend that you do! It is going to be a wonderfully fabulous story that I am dying to read all of! Hopefully, knowing a little about it from Aiden's perspective will help you to enjoy it all the more! Thank you, Britt and Libby, for the encouragement on Kris. It's good to hear that sometimes! Oh, Britt, you commented on Aiden needing more time and not being ready to face Duard, you are so right. And yet, quite without my permission, our little boy does some quick growing up in the five chapters coming! Shh. Don't want to spoil too much!


Kristalyn's POV: I have to tell him goodbye. He's going to leave. I know it. What will the others do? What will I do? I don't want him to go. But, his brother.... Oh, Deus! The tears want to come and I can't let them. I'm going to tell him goodbye and I know when I do, it will be the last time I lay eyes on him. The thought tears me apart. Aiden, what are you doing?



CHAPTER 32 ~ A CHOICE

AIDEN

My brother! A killer? No, it couldn’t be true! Arnan was mischievous and could get himself into a whole lot of trouble, but a killer? And he changed as much as I?

Kristalyn and Travon were both watching me with stunned faces at my hard reaction to my brother’s name. I swallowed and concentrated, even as Magnar moved closer and almost pushed me over. The griffin never did get his own strength. I put a hand on him to steady myself and keep him at bay, before turning my full attention back to Travon.

“Do you know the whole story?” I asked as calmly as I could.

“Not really, but I got the jist. He killed a king and queen, maybe their kid too and he’s wanted for it. It’s a huge bounty. Everyone’s searching for him.”

Arnan was in trouble. It was the only thing I could think of and the words pounded through my mind so clearly I could see them. Arnan had known Duard was about to split us up, but instead of coming to Tearith or I, he had kept silent. As they rest of us stood stunned by Duard’s command, Arnan had been the first to leave, not even saying goodbye to his closest sister, Wren. I didn’t actually have proof he had been fully aware of Duard’s command, but back then I had known every one of my siblings very well and I didn’t need proof to know I was right. Arnan had betrayed the family just as I had. Yet he was my brother. And he was in a lot of trouble.

“I need to think. Can you stand watch?” I asked quietly.

Even Kurioden nodded. I looked away from Travon’s stricken face and Kristalyn’s worried eyes to climb onto Magnar’s back.

“Let’s fly, Magnar,” I said absently.

The great griffin stretched his head out to buck it gently against my knee. He turned and spread out his large wings, waiting as the others got out of the way, and took off to the sky.

***

I will never know how long we flew, but I believe it was most of the night. It didn’t seem to matter though, because both Kristalyn and Travon were waiting for us when we arrived back. Kurioden was at his mistress’ side. My decision had been made even before I had climbed onto Magnar’s back. Arnan might have betrayed us, but he was my brother and I would not let something happen to him… not again.

“You’re going after him,” Kristalyn stated, as I dropped of Magnar’s back.

I nodded.

“Cequelet is over the mountains, isn’t it?” Travon asked quietly.

I nodded again.

“What about Duard?” Kristalyn asked her first question.

“I will deal with him in time, but Arnan is in immediate danger. Duard can wait a little longer.” It was really the only decision I had to make. If I went to deal with Duard now, ready or not, there was a chance something could happen to Arnan that I couldn’t prevent. By going after him now, I might arrive on time to make a difference. I wouldn’t risk my brother’s life, even if it meant Duard’s.

“Your going up against every bounty hunter there is!” Travon exclaimed incredulity.

“Then they had better not get in my way.” I paused to look at the people most would claim as friends after what we had all been through. It was hard to realize that I would be saying goodbye to them, but what was even harder to accept was that the thought hurt. I had been distancing myself from them on purpose, but now that the time was here, old feelings of watching my siblings leave were returning. I had hated those emotions then and I hated them now. I swallowed the pain. Forcefully moving them back into the forgotten regains of my heart.

“I’m going to go pack and saddle one of the horses. It is okay that I take one, right, Kristalyn?” I didn’t need her permission, but I had to say something. The look of painful loss on her face was tearing me apart more than I wanted to admit. She nodded and I turned quickly away. Magnar stood behind me and he stretched out his great head. “Where is that falcon friend of yours? He’s been flying around for days now.”

“Trees yonder.” Magnar acknowledged.

“Can you get him? Wren might know something about Arnan and since that bird is still hanging around I might as well use him.”

Magnar nodded, but didn’t move. He didn’t even take his eyes off me. Was he afraid I was going to sneak off? It wasn’t a bad idea really. I had no wish to say goodbyes to anyone ever again, but especially if Kristalyn was going to look at me with those sorrow filled eyes of hers.

I shook my head and turned slightly so I could see them all. “Stop looking like that. You knew this was coming. We all did. If you want to come with me, you’re welcome. But either way, I’m leaving to find my brother. And I’m not coming back after.”

With that said, I walked over to where I had placed my pack by my sleeping space. Now, why in all of Aerilya - I was even using their expressions - had I invited them to come with me?

It was her eyes. I had started reading Kristalyn ages ago and she could hide nothing from me ever since. I didn’t know that she would actually come, really I doubted it, but she had wanted me to offer. For reasons I couldn’t or wouldn’t explain to myself, I needed to at least give her that. The others were no better. Magnar and Travon both looked like I was abandoning them. They were all tag-alongs in the first place. I shouldn’t have cared.

As I rolled the blanket to put on the back of the horse, I felt my stomach clench. I did care for them. All of them and whether I wanted to or not, if any of them decided to come along, I would be glad. Not that I would tell them that.

I stood abruptly and went to the horses. What was happening to me? I needed to get rid of these thoughts. I sounded to close to the old Aiden for comfort. I couldn’t let him back in. He was the one who was too weak to do what had to be done. I needed to be stronger than that, much stronger. Arnan needed my help and the others counted on me to defeat Duard. I could not fail them again. I had promised I would succeed no matter what and I would keep my promise, even at the old Aiden’s death. My siblings might not be happy with the thought and Wren would probably wring my neck, but at least they would all be home and safe. Even if they hated me, I would fix my betrayal. Emotions had no place in my heart. I needed only my strength.

“Aiden?” Travon’s voice came from behind me.

I turned to see the youth with Magnar at his side. In his hand he held some parchment and a piece of coal. Sitting on Magnar’s back and preening himself was Myrddin. I only remembered the bird was still around because he seemed to have taken a liking to Magnar and the two were often off flying together when I needed Magnar for something. It had become a rather annoying habit, but the friendship was suddenly useful. Travon handed me the writing tools and I bent down to scratch out a quick letter to my sister.

Wren,

I’ve heard Arnan is in trouble. It is said he is in Cequelet being hunted for killing a king and queen. Is it true? I am heading in that direction now. Send me anything you know.

I got your other letter. I tried to take your advice, but my path is different. Maybe one day it will work for me. Who is this ‘we’?

Aiden

How much would my younger sister read into this letter? I couldn’t be sure, but at least I had replied to hers and she would send me news of our brother. Meanwhile, I wasn’t wasting any time. I turned to Myrddin.

“All right, Myrddin, you need to take this to Wren. Remember her? Your mistress is probably wondering what happened to you,” I spoke as I approached.

The falcon cocked his head to the side and watched.

“I’m going to need that leg,” I stated.

Myrddin screeched and Magnar turned his head to argue back.

I glanced at Magnar. “What did he said?”

Magnar shook his head no, but then screeched out, “Like you he doesn’t.”

I glared at the falcon. “He’s no great bird himself. Just make him give this message to Wren while he can still fly.”

“Tell him that you want me too?” Magnar questioned, obviously amused.

“Tell him whatever you have to so this letter gets to my sister as fast as possible!” I exclaimed.

Magnar laughed, but relayed the message. The falcon glared at me, obliviously not impressed, but held out his leg anyway. I tied the message to it and after a screech goodbye to Magnar, he took off. One problem down, I glanced at the two standing before me, far too many left.

“Well?”

Magnar looked at Travon then back to me. “With Aiden Magnar will go. Magnar and Aiden together needed.”

Relief coursed through me. The feeling surprised me. The relief must have come because Magnar would make convincing people to cooperate even easier. After all, I couldn’t really care for the griffin that much, could I? Eventually, I would stop lying to myself, but not today.

“Good, Magnar.”

Magnar nodded his head regally and I turned to Travon. I needed only my strength, no other emotions allowed.

“And you?”

“You’ve changed,” Travon observed instead of answering.

What did he mean by that? “So have you.”

“Yes. But I can still learn. I’m coming too.”

So, the three of us would travel together once more. I allowed no thought past that.

“All right, Travon. Have you said your goodbyes?”

“I promised I would talk to Geoffrey and Richard again.” He paused. “I don’t know how to say goodbye to Kristalyn and Kurioden.”

He wasn’t the only one.

“Say goodbye to your friends. I will find Kristalyn.” Maybe by the time I did I’d have a clue what to say.

***

She sat on top of a hill watching the last of the Wild Men pull out. Absently, her hand stroked the top of Kurioden’s head. She hadn’t noticed my presence yet. What was it about this girl that invaded my mind? She was smart, independent, strong of heart and mind, and had a wit I had only seen in some of my sisters. She could battle with the best. Her Deus had her full devotion above all else and while her own loyalty and love might be fiercely guarded and given, others gave theirs freely to her. She inspired those around her to be not who they were, but who they could be… even me.

Kurioden shifted and his eyes turned towards me. But Kristalyn must have been deep in thought, because she didn’t move. Kurioden watched me silently as I studied his mistress. It was true. No matter what I thought or wanted to think, Kristalyn had changed me. She forced me to do things differently. Somehow, she had become my conscious. When Kristalyn arrived, Zoe’s apparition had disappeared and not returned. Kristalyn was the voice I heard in and out of my head. She was the one whose voice had become a soft humming to me. I remembered it well. Despite my attitude towards her, she was a constant contradiction, refusing to let me take out her brother and yet helping me at the same time. More than likely, she and Magnar had saved my life. If the Hunter was who I might have been if I was good, Kristalyn was the girl I didn’t deserve.

But why did that matter?

“Aiden.” As I watched, she turned and stood her soft voice calling out to me.

I didn’t move, only looked at the vision of beauty in front of me. The sun had risen enough so that it was clear to see, but it had not yet made its way up to the height of the sky. Now, the rays shown around her face, giving her tan skin and green eyes a new light. I had noticed before she was beautiful, but this was a vision I had not seen. Beautiful did not begin to describe this woman.

“Aiden,” she called again, her voice soft and I could hear the sorrow in it. Sorrow, I knew I had caused. Was I forever going to be causing pain to those I cared about? “Are you leaving now?”

I did care. I had admitted it before. I shook my head no, trying to shake off the thought. I couldn’t care! Look what had happened to my siblings! She had asked me a question.

“Not yet,” I managed. “Travon decided to come. He is saying goodbye.”

“So, is this ours then?” Her voice was so low, I almost couldn’t hear her.

No! I heard the voice shout in my head. It was stupid! This was better. It was the only way it could work. I wasn’t worth her time or her effort. There was only so much one can change! I was who I had to be. There are others, others who are better for her than me. I’m a cold hearted murderer. I even lose control and kill in rage. What happens if she is there again and gets hurt? Beyond anything I have felt in the past that would destroy me. No, Kristalyn had to be safe. At all costs she must be safe. That meant this had to be goodbye and we both knew it. “Yes.”

She nodded slowly. “That’s it then?”

“What did you expect, Kristalyn?” I asked, wanting an honest answer.

“I don’t know.” The pain in her voice was cutting me in two. “I guess I didn’t realize this would be so hard.”

“I warned you not to let your heart get involved, but you couldn’t help that could you?” I winced at the coldness that crept into my voice.

“I guess not,” her arms, which had been at her side, came up to cross over her chest. Her pain was becoming my own. I could almost feel the wall she was trying to erect to save herself.

She would forget about me. In time, she would forget. Her brother would make sure of that. He would strive to erase all memories of the man who had fought beside his sister and then broke her heart. He would make her forget me. I couldn’t fully understand the knife of pain I felt at the thought. Wasn’t it better this way? Better that she was safe with the family who loved her and the god she followed? I could only corrupt her.

“It’s better this way, Kristalyn. You’ll forget about me in time.” I thought saying the words out loud would help, but the pain inside me didn’t go away and by the look on her face neither did hers.

“Forget about you? Aiden, I can’t. Not ever. I.. I…”

I moved to her and put my fingers over her mouth to stop her words. Her eyes got wide. She couldn’t say it out loud. She couldn’t admit that she cared for me. It would only make it worse. Make this goodbye harder than it already was. Neither one of us needed that and I refused to cause her any more pain. I could not return her feelings, now or ever. I had a mission for which I needed to be strong. These feelings were not something I needed or wanted. They would only distract me and I couldn’t afford that. Arnan and our siblings needed me focused now and for once in my life I was going to be the brother they needed. I would not care about this girl…any more.

“Don’t, Kristalyn. Put up your wall. You will forget and you will heal. Go back to your brother. Be happy. Be safe. Live.”

I have no idea what happened next. That’s not true, I just have no idea how I let it. Without forethought, I leaned over slightly, moving my hand, and brushed my lips against hers. They tasted of sweet mint. I heard her breath catch and saw her eyes widened again. I pulled back to look at her, moving my hand to stroke her chin very softly, before dropping it.

“Forget me. I will only hurt you. Go live happily with your brother.”

I turned and left without looking back.

***

What had that been? I hadn’t been thinking. I wanted her to forget me and that probably wasn’t going to help. That wasn’t completely true, I knew she needed to forget me, but I didn’t want her too. Whatever had happened, it was over now. I had to refocus. I had a brother and family to save.

Travon and Magnar were waiting with the horses when I got back.

“Did you find Kristalyn?” Travon asked.

I nodded. Magnar gave me a strange look, but said nothing.

“Could we stay for breakfast? I’m real hunger.” Travon pleaded.

“No, we need to get moving. We have a long trip and at the end we still have to search for Arnan.”

“So, your last name is Romany, huh?” Travon looked excited about the new piece of information. It reminded me how Kristalyn loved to find out about my family.

Would I always have her on my mind?

“Yes.” The irony of my answer did not fail to escape me.

“Breakfast is almost done. I could grab us some. And I think I can say goodbye to Kristalyn now. She’d be at breakfast, right?” The youth turned to look to where the others were starting to gather. I didn’t see Kristalyn’s long dark blond hair, but I knew why.

“She should be there soon.” I needed to get away before she showed up. “Go get your breakfast. Grab some for all of us. Magnar and I are going to start walking. I’ll lead the horses for now.”

Travon grinned and hurried off. I tugged on the horses’ reigns I now held and we moved towards the edge of camp.

“Hard it was?” Magnar asked as soon as we were alone.

“Saying goodbye? More than I thought it would be,” I admitted.

“Care for her you do,” Magnar said in a wise voice.

“You don’t know everything, Magnar. I can’t care for her,” I spit out the words.

The griffin laughed. “Matters not it does. Care for her you do. Why admit it you won’t?”

“Because it does neither of us any good. I need to focus on Arnan now. Not some girl from the past.” One day I was going to start to believe those words and that day had better be soon.

“Easy to forget Kristalyn is not,” Magnar commented.

I didn’t answer. No, she wasn’t. My thoughts of her character floated back to me. What made it worse, was that despite my resolve, I wasn’t sure I wanted to forget her. When had she snuck past every defense I had laid out? How had this one girl gotten into the heart of a cold hearted murder? I didn’t understand, but now that she was gone and it didn’t matter, I could admit she had.

I heard a horse gallop up behind us and turned with a frown. Why was Travon bringing a third horse? We didn’t need a pack animal. Magnar snickered with glee next to me. On top of the horse were two people. The first had long dark blond hair that was flying in the wind. At the horse’s side, a black panther with a lightening streak on his front left shoulder was keeping pace.

Magnar and I waited in silence as the horse and panther stopped in front of us. Kristalyn put out her hand and Travon grabbed it to slide off her horse. He grinned at me and held up his bag.

“I brought breakfast and a few more things.”

I kept my gaze on Kristalyn. “I can see that.”

Her green eyes held mine. “Someone’s got to make sure you stay out of trouble. Be safe and live, Aiden.”

“This was not what I had in mind,” I responded firmly.

“I know,” she said in a lower voice.

I tossed Travon his reigns. “Mount up.”

We both followed the order. I glanced at Kristalyn again, once I was properly seated. She simply smiled. Her face more content than I had seen it in…well, ever. So be it. I nodded once and kicked my horse into a trot. Kristalyn and Travon did the same and Magnar and Kuriden fell into step next to each other.

Together, Kurioden, Magnar, Kristalyn, Travon and I left the camp behind. It was time to find my brother.

***

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, you made my day with another post!
-Kim

4:45 PM  
Blogger Kirk said...

Wow! going in unexpected ways!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Charissa Taylor Lees said...

I think that long break lost me all my readers. Ouch! Where did you all go? Come back and comment so I know to post again. Thanks! (I know its shameless to beg, but hey if you'll comment, I'll beg!)
Kristy

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked this chapter. Aiden's inner monologue is particularly well-written, as well as the Aiden/Kristalyn interaction. I also liked how Magnar was talking to Aiden after he said goodbye to Kristalyn.
I'm eagerly awaiting the next chapter!! Please post soon!!! :D

Libby

2:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations on another chapter well written! I think you are doing a great job writing Aiden.

I'm glad I've finally caught up with the chapters. I started reading Aiden when you came over in... when was it? June? July? Its been a great book to read. Thanks for keeping me in a GREAT time of my life! Its like reading Charissa Taylor! (Except she is nicer and doesn't kill people.) :)

-Brother of your younger sister's twin, and happy-to-be-friend-and-brother.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where has Aiden gone? Is he ever coming back? Time for a new post!!! Pretty please? :D

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

?Donde estan Aiden y su companyeros?

8:38 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

I've been so busy, but I finally got to sit down and enjoy this chapter of Aiden. Well done! I like it! And I can't wait for more.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home