Friday, May 16, 2008

LOLOL. Well, David did post a comment! What I want to know is who is anonymous?? I see you have figured out the best way to get me to post. Hmmm.
Ashley, I'm glad you liked the conversation the second time through. Those are always hard to write and I find the best way is to deal with what I am dealing with and let the characters have their own say. Believe it or not, Kris and Zoe seeing their brothers was the very first thing planned for our two books! From there, the stories evolved. So, you are seeing the original starting points of our combined stories! Turning point in the story? I have no idea what your talking about.... I'm glad you liked! Keep reading, things start to get intersting real soon! And thanks for the reminder about the main site!
Wow, Britt. Thanks. That's exactly what I hope this book and my life will do, bring people closer to Jesus. Your words are a great encouragement to me. I hope you continue to see Him as your fortress and strength.
Anonymous, sorry about that! I didn't change it here, but I made sure to fix it immediately in the main document. Thanks for the reminder! As for Travon, I'm afraid you shall just have to keep reading to find out!
David! I'm glad your looking forward to the next sections. I hope they shall not disappointed, although they did surprise me a little! Aiden is... well, Aiden! Why does everyone love Magnar and Egan? LOL. Egan is SUCH a pain to write!

Kristalyn meets up with old friends and it makes her see her new friends differently. Plus, Aiden is acting strange, is there something else he's hiding or is he realizing new things too? Then it's time to start making attack plans, despite tension among the top ranks. Can Kristalyn pull her thoughts together in time or will Aiden's attitude be her downfall?


CHAPTER 28 ~ MOVE OUT AND FAST

KRISTALYN

We made it back to the forest without too much further engagement. It was a good thing, since my mind was on my brother. Where was he in the battle now? What had caused him to let go of Chale? Did he know I had been there?

The questions came to an abrupt halt when we entered the forest and excited calls of ‘Lady Kristalyn’ met my ears. I looked up to see Warrick, Geoffrey, Richard, Jerome, and many other friends waiting for us. Egan sat on the bottom branch of a tree preening himself proudly. I grinned at them all. It had been so long since I had seen any of them. Happiness at their safety and our reunion spread throughout my whole body. It was almost as good as going home, if only Tray had been there too.

Everyone crowded close to me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Aiden step back and off to the side. They all tried to talk at once and I laughed at their excitement.

I held up my hands to quite them down.

“It’s so good to see you all! It’s like coming home again. Warrick, how are you?” I turned to the older man.

His face had been scared much earlier in life and the scar from his scalp through his right eye and cheek until it finally ended at the very bottom of his jawbone. The eye it covered had been healed over with an odd white scar tissue. The site usually caused even hardened warriors to think twice before engaging him. I wondered briefly what Aiden thought of it.

“I am good, Lady Kristalyn. We traveled during the night to make it to you quickly. We are tired, but can continue now if you wish. The Hunter sent twenty-five of the very best.”

I smiled warmly at those around me. “I can see that.”

“Lady Kristalyn, are you okay?” Geoffrey spoke up, looking me up and down.

I glanced down and saw I was covered in the blood of Elangsia soldiers. I wondered how much of it was mine. I looked like quite the mess. I smiled at the boy. “I’m alright, Geoffrey. I was involved in the battle only a little bit ago.”

The boy’s eyes widened.

“Milady, how does it go?” Jerome, a seasoned warrior, asked.

I shook my head. “I’m not sure. What I do know is that if the Wild Men join Elangsia, we won’t stand a chance. We are losing men and equipment fast. But remember, I did not see the whole of the battle, only a part of it.”

“Should we rest then?” Warrick asked.

I was still high on adrenaline, but the men had traveled all night and I would come off my own high rather quickly. Still, every moment we wasted, meant that the Wild Men got ever closer. I turned to see Aiden leaning against a tree and watching me.

“Aiden? What do you think?” I asked causally. The men were going to have to get use to taking orders from him as well, and by deferring to him early on, I would put him on equal footing as myself.

He shrugged himself away from the tree and came to stand next to me. “Magnar’s not back yet. We could use a rest and meal ourselves. If we can start within two hours it will do us more good than harm.” He paused to smile at me. I knew that smile, it was dangerous. “Of course, that’s if the Lady Kristalyn thinks its okay.”

I’d slug him for that one later.

Before I could speak though, someone else did for me.

“You should not speak to Lady Kristalyn in such a manor!”

I looked at the speaker in surprise. Richard was young and Geoffrey’s best friend. He was solid with his skills, but also very quite. The fact that he’d speak his mind to a stranger to defend me was a pleasant surprise. Had they all grown up while I was gone?

“It is okay, Richard. Aiden’s manners usually leave something to be desired,” I said wryly. Aiden shot me a knowing grin. I ignored him to turn to the men, who were looking at us curiously. “Everyone, I’d like you to meet Aiden. He is a warrior from the other side of the mountains that has agreed to help us fight for our freedom. He is to be treated with the same respect you give to my family. He will be giving orders and I need to know you will follow him. Does everyone understand?”

Distrust and displeasure shown in many of their eyes, but they nodded. I was sure Warrick would have more to say about this later, but he wouldn’t question me in front of everyone else and that was all I cared about at the moment.

“All right then, everyone take a break, but be ready to go after we’ve had some rest and food.” I pointed to a handful of men. “We’ll need more food than what we have here. Can you get some for us?”

The men nodded and scattered into the forest. It shouldn’t take them too long. As everyone dispersed, I took a few extra seconds to greet Richard and Geoffrey more properly and give them both a hug. The boys blushed and then hurried to join the others. I greeted Jerome as well and he nodded to me then followed the boys. Finally, only Warrick, Aiden and I stood together.

“Did my brother say anything else to you, Warrick?” I asked, to fend off questions about Aiden, I wasn’t ready to answer. The truth wasn’t exactly something I wanted to publicize at the moment.

“He sends his love and a command for me to protect you,” Warrick replied in his usually style.

I laughed. “That sounds like my brother. I’m glad he sent you, Warrick.” It felt wonderful to hear words from Tray’s mouth, but it was like a knife of pure torture to be so close and yet not see him. If there was anytime I should be at his side, it was in battle! Deus, protect him! Please! Protect my brother. I turned my thoughts back to the task at hand, “You know of our mission, correct?”

He nodded. “How do you figure on going about it?”

“We’ll have to see how many there are and what resources they have. More than likely, we’ll end up doing sneak attacks on them to mess with their heads.”

“Probably in small teams,” Aiden added.

I thought about that for a moment then nodded. It made the most sense. Warrick turned to the warrior.

“How did you become involved in our war?” He asked.

“Not easily,” Aiden replied shortly. That was all the answer Warrick was going to get.

He frowned, but nodded.

“You are loyal to Aerilya then?” He asked.

I glanced at Aiden and waited for the answer.

He said nothing for a long moment, then looked directly at me as he said, “I am loyal to Kristalyn.”

I felt the shock wave physically punch me and hadn’t recovered in time to comment as he turned and walked away. Since when was he loyal to me? And just what did he mean?

Warrick watched me. “You trust him, Kristalyn?” He asked, quietly.

I nodded. “I do, Warrick. But more than that, Deus has some reason for him being here.”

Warrick nodded. “Fine then.” He smiled. “It is good to see you again, lass.”

He turned and walked towards the men, but my mind was still full of Aiden and his strange comment. It took me a little bit to find him watching the men from a distance and behind the cover of a few trees.

“What was that?” I asked softly, as I approached him.

“What?” He asked innocently.

“Since when are you loyal to me?” I wasn’t letting him off the hook this time.

He gazed into my eyes for a moment, before going back to his observations. “What else did you expect me to say?”

“I don’t know. But certainly not that!” I exclaimed.

He laughed. “I’m not loyal to Aerilya, Kristalyn, and we both know it. No other answer would have satisfied him. They clearly love you.”

“So, it was just to keep suspicion off of you?” I asked slowly, trying to understand and sure I was missing something.

He looked at me again and held my gaze for a long moment. Then his hand came up to touch my cheek very softly. “If that’s what you want to think.”

And he walked away again. I leaned back against the tree weakly and remembered how to breath. I had done it since a child. It seriously shouldn’t be so hard to do!

I groaned out loud. “Deus! Oh, man. I’m in trouble. He’s affecting me, Deus. He’s affecting me a lot. I know I already care about him, but I don’t think this is good. He’s… he’s… well, among other things, he’s certainly not a believer in you. Deus, you have to take these feelings away before they get any worse! Please! Help me to concentrate on what is important. And for the moment, that’s not Aiden.”

A huge crash came from the campsite and I sighed. Magnar was back and about to create a ruckus by the sound of it.

“Magnar! Cut that out!” Aiden’s voice rang clearly. “If you throw that at him, I’m not going to care what he does to get back at you!”

Uh oh. That didn’t sound good. Quickly, I raced back to the camp to find Magnar on one side, my men on the other with raised weapons, and Aiden in the middle. Well, for a first meeting, it could have gone better.

“Swords down. Now!” I commanded.

The men looked at me with wide eyes.

“You heard me. Now.” My voice brooked no argument.

Slowly, they lowered them although none went back into their sheaths. I sighed and turned to Magnar.

“Hello. Did you find him?”

Magnar shook his head low.

I walked calmly over to him and wrapped my arms around his great eagle neck. “I’m sorry, Magnar. But don’t give up hope. Travon is out there somewhere. I’m sure of it.”

The griffin screeched again and then looked up at Aiden, who nodded reassuringly. It still amazed me how close the two had become. I let go of the griffin and turned to the men watching the scene.

“This is Magnar. He is a good friend of Aiden’s and will be accompanying us on our mission. Please no shooting at him.” I smiled to put the tease into my voice and the men relaxed.

“Wow! A real griffin!” Geoffrey exclaimed.

I smiled. Magnar just got Aiden accepted at least in some of their eyes.

***

Over the next three days, we would cross over the same area that Aiden and I had covered on our way back from Ruma. Trees, bushes, hills, and groves were all over, but there were also more open spaces than a forest. I spent the time surrounded by my friends and wishing my beloved brother was with us all. Still, I loved hearing Geoffrey and Ricald recall every funny thing that had happened to them since I had departed the camp far too long ago. The two kept me laughing with stories of their explorations. Jerome, also a good friend, was by my side constantly. The man had been in some fighting capacity for most of his life and though he spoke little he saw and heard everything around him. It was like a healing balm on my spirit to travel with my friends again and be able to enjoy their presence, except for one thing. I hardly saw Aiden at all.

Occasionally I would catch glimpses of him up ahead or to the side of us. Once I even caught him watching me, but he never made any attempt to approach. I felt like I was going crazy when I realized I missed him. He was either giving me time with my friends or plenty of space. I had a feeling it was the latter and I hated that thought. I could probably use the space, but I didn’t want it, not from him.

The time with my friends did prove beyond a doubt something to me. Aiden was different then all of them. He had different rules he lived by, and a vastly different background, but he was different with me too. I knew he understood me, everything, not just what I showed people, but what I kept inside too. I looked around for him again, but couldn’t see him. How was it that during the time apart I had pretty much asked Deus for, I missed Aiden so much I was hurting? How was it that this time was bringing me closer to him? I must be losing my mind. He surly didn’t feel the same!

More than that, I couldn’t let him. I had promised my father, even before he had died, and Deus that I would only marry a man that loved Deus and cared about following him as strongly as I did. Not that I was thinking about marrying Aiden. But if he didn’t follow God, eventually we would come to resent each other as I put God first in my life instead of him. Even my husband had to be second to God. It would not be something easily swallowed by the proud warrior and I held no delusions to that effect. Still, the thought made my stomach clench. Where was Aiden? I wanted to see him at least.

“Deus, guide me.” It was the only prayer I could think of as I went to look for the man who was taking up far too many of my thoughts.

Our group had spread out, so that we could move better and stay hidden. I picked up my pace to move towards the front of the group. It didn’t take long before I spotted him up ahead of us. He was a good thirty paces in front of everyone else. What was he thinking? I scanned the sky for Magnar, but didn’t see him. I hadn’t seen the griffin for days. The thought surprised me. Had I really been involved with my own friends that I had forgotten the ones I had spent the last two months with? I didn’t like the obvious answer and I increased my pace to reach Aiden’s side. I settled in to walk next to him, but he didn’t even glance my way.

Was he mad at me or just being Aiden? I didn’t know, but the thought he was upset with me wasn’t one I liked, despite the fact that I was in that position more often than out of it.

“Where’s Magnar?” I asked, just to break the silence.

“Up ahead. He’s been scouting from the skies for us.”

I nodded. “We must be getting close by now.”

“Probably,” was his short reply.

He was mad at me. Was it because I had ignored him?

“I haven’t seen much of you the last few days,” I finally ventured.

“You’ve got your friends now.”

I tried to figure out what he meant by that statement, but his voice was devoid of emotion.

“I was catching up with them,” I agreed. “But I didn’t mean to ignore you and Magnar.”

A cynical smile crossed his face. “Didn’t you?”

I blinked. “Of course not. Aiden, you know me well enough to know I wouldn’t do that.”

He laughed. “Yes, you would.”

He was right. If I thought he deserved it, I would. But this was different. “Not like that.”

Aiden shot me a look, but didn’t say anything. I felt like I was walking next to a stranger and couldn’t think of anything to say. Over the last few weeks, we had many times when we didn’t talk, but it had been a comfortable silence, this was hard. What had changed?

“Tell me more about your family, Aiden.” Anything was better than this and that was a topic I was always interested in.

He didn’t say anything, but kept walking. I couldn’t stand this.

“Aiden? What is it? What did I do?”

“Do, Kristalyn?” He asked calmly.

“You’re purposefully ignoring me.”

“How am I doing that? And why should it matter? Shouldn’t you be use to it by now?”

“Probably,” I said, with a slight smile. “But you haven’t done this in a while now. I thought things were changing.”

He laughed again. “Changing? Why would that happen?”

“Well, I mean…” Suddenly I wasn’t sure what to say. I had ignored him, but that was no reason for this reaction. Something else was bothering him now and I wanted to know what it was.

“Look, I’m here to do a job. Once I’m done, I’ll leave.” He did turn to look at me then. “Don’t get attached, Kristalyn. I warned you once not to try to reach my heart. I’ll warn you again now. When you get hurt, it’s on your own head, not mine.”

I stopped short and Aiden walked on ahead. What was that? I felt my heart constrict in my chest as if he had put a band around it and tightened until there was nothing more to squeeze. Was this my answer then? Was this how Deus would warn me away from him?

I took a deep breath and walked with my mind blank until I felt the band loosen. No, something about the previous thought felt wrong. I had asked for Deus guidance and I had followed His leading. Aiden’s reaction was not a message for me. It was for himself. I thought about that for a moment. It was for himself. He was warning me away as much as himself. While I had missed him, he had been telling himself to stay away. I glanced up to where he walked in front of me. We were back at the beginning again. He had walled himself in and he wasn’t coming out.

Follow, Little One.

I needed no prodding from Deus this time. I wasn’t giving up. I still had to be cautious not to get my feelings to involved, but Deus wasn’t finished with Aiden and neither was I. Maybe our last conversation about Deus had made Aiden think more than he wanted too. That was good. And I wasn’t going to let the chance get away.

I hurried to catch up with him.

“Tell me about your family, Aiden.” I said when I reached his side again, thinking once more of Tray and sending up one more prayer he was safe. Anytime his name came to mind, which was often, I prayed. Until I could send Egan back I had no way of knowing how he was. My only choice was to pray and trust Deus. Praying was easy, trusting not so much.

“Kristalyn,” Aiden growled, bringing me back to the present.

“Fine. Then tell me about Duard,” I pressed, ready to talk about anything I could get him to tell me. “Or how about the real reason you agreed to fight with me. I’ll talk an answer to any of those, Aiden.”

“It doesn’t matter,” he said firmly.

“It does matter, because it affects you and what you do.” I watched him for a moment, then spoke again. “Let me worry about my heart, Aiden. I’m a big girl I can handle it. I want to know about yours.”

I saw something flash across his eyes before he hid again.

“I don’t have one.”

“You’re wrong, Aiden. It’s filled with pain and you hide it deep, but it is there. I’ve seen it.” I replied calmly.

He was silent for a while, but finally asked, “What do you want to know?”

“Everything you’ll tell me,” I answered.

“I have five sisters and three brothers. I’m the oldest. Our parents were killed when we were very young and Duard became our guardian. If you can call him that.” The words were forced as if from a memory long ago forgotten.

“And he spilt you up?” I asked, even as I felt me heart constrict at his news. I had lost my father, but he had lost both his parents and at a young age and then every one of his siblings. As the eldest, did he raise his siblings? Did he feel responsible for what happened to them too?

Aiden laughed, but there was only bitterness in it. “He did much worse than that.”

A screech from the sky interrupted whatever Aiden would have said next and Magnar landed in front of us. He shook himself and then folded his wings onto his back, before looking at Aiden and screeching impatiently.

“Are they close then?” Aiden asked.

Magnar nodded his head.

“How many?” I asked.

“Magnar screeched again. I thought I heard the word ‘lots’ in his tone, but I laughed at the thought. Aiden nodded.

“I want to check this out.”

“Okay. I’ll go back and warn the men. I’m sending Egan into the sky too. He’s had too much preening time as it is.”

Aiden shrugged , obviously not caring what the dragon did. He mounted Magnar and the griffin took to the sky. I heaved, both in frustration and excitement. We were close now and could complete our mission, but I had been so close to finding out more about Aiden. It was frustrating to have to wait and I didn’t know if he’d be willing to tell me more at a later date. Regardless, I had business to take care off. I rushed back to the men. It was time to prepare.

***

“There are somewhere close to a thousand of the Wild Men and that doesn’t include the three hundred that Ricald added.” Aiden reported later that night.

Warrick, Jerome, Aiden, Kurioden, and I sat in a circle discussion our options. Magnar had scouted pretty far ahead and we wouldn’t actually meet the force until sometime later in the day tomorrow.

“That’s a lot of men,” Warrick commented.

I nodded. “How are the men doing, Warrick?”

“They are steadfast and ready. It is a lot, but we can take them if it is planned correctly.”

I saw his gaze slide over to Aiden. The older man didn’t really have a reason to distrust Aiden, but for some reason he obviously did.

“What is our plan?” Jerome asked, releasing some of the tension.

“We split into teams of four or five. Each team will have a section of the camp,” Aiden responded, looking directly at Warrick.

“We are less than a week away from the battle and we were able to move much faster than this force will be able too. If we can slow them down to that week, it is possible it will be too late.” Warrick thought out loud.

“Possible, however, if Elangsia thinks they are coming, they will try to draw the battle out as long as possible to give their force time to arrive. We have to ware them down long before they reach that battle,” I responded.

“They have oxen, horses, and some other animals with them. We can take them out first and that will slow them down greatly with little effort on our part. The wheels on the carts will be important too. Shelter isn’t something that’s a huge concern for them, but Ricald and the Wild Men’s Prince will both have large tents. Making them unfit for use, will make them furious and that will hurt the soldiers too. There are also weapons that we can add to our own collections and our food and other supplies can come from them.” Aiden explained in more detail.

“How often have you done this?” Warrick asked.

“Enough,” Aiden replied.

“It sounds good. What about the teams?” Jerome cut in again.

“Keep them small. Warrick and I will divide them up. We’ll have three teams of five and three teams of four. Each of us will lead a team. Miah and Gurmeet can lead the other two.

“No.” Aiden spoke from across from me. “We are on the same team.”

I looked at him surprised, but quickly nodded before Warrick could say anything. “Fine. Plathe can lead the last team.”

Aiden’s eyes caught mine, but I couldn’t read them in the dim light, so I turned to Warrick. “Ready the men. We meet the Wild Men by tomorrow and when night falls our first attacks will begin.”

He nodded. “As you wish, Lady Kristalyn.”

Only after he and Jerome left, did I turn back to Aiden. “What was that? Why do we need to be on a team together?”

“I won’t risk you being with anyone else.”

“Meaning?” I asked. That was no where close to a straight answer.

I saw him smile. “Just what I said. I’m going to let Magnar know what the plan is.”

I watched him go then looked down at Kurioden, who had been watching the exchange from his place at my feet. “He is so frustrating!”

The black cat meowed an agreement, but gave no other advice. I sighed. That man was going to make me lose my mind. It wasn’t a pleasant thought.

***

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am anonymous of course! Actually there is a couple of us! *evil chuckle* Thank you for the latest chapter. I appreciated it!

Sincerely,

Anonymous =)

8:18 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I loved it!!! I can't wait for more!! :)

You when she asks him about his family? Is it just me or does she ask him that question at least three times and he answers it that many times? I don't just mean in this chapter, but in some of the other ones I thought she had already asked him this question and he answered it

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great chapter! I loved the different interactions between Kristalyn and Aiden, and how Aiden is changing. I can't wait for the next one! ;)

Libby

2:13 PM  
Blogger Brittany Simmons said...

That was a great chapter. I really liked it. I liked stepping inside Kristalyn's heart for awhile. As for Aiden, like I told my sister, "He's such a big, stupid lug, and I love him." I should say I love being annoyed with him. I want to knock some sense into his thick noggin sometimes. I can't wait for Deus to do so.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interactions = good! Aiden's change is progrssive and realistic. Definitely one of the best chapters. Yeah, I did think he had told her about his family in a previous chapter.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Great chapter! I really liked it.

I liked the meeting of the Hunter's men with Aiden and Kris's reunion with them. And I really love your last paragraph! :) What a way to end a chapter!

~ Ashley

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally! Things are really starting to move again. I felt like things had kind of lagged in the chapters after Aiden tried to kill himself until now. I'm not exactly sure why, but this chapter throws that into sharper relief.
And thanks for spelling it "D-E-U-S". ;-)

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home